Why are midwives better than OBGYNs?

Serious, logical answers please.

6under1roof

Asked by 6under1roof at 2:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They are more open and willing to assist with the birth that the parents want and aren't money hungry as most doctors are.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• they CAN be. But not 100% true- next?
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 2:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Are you just trying to argue about something?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Depends on if you have any medical conditions. It would not be wise to go to a midwife if you have serious medical issues and/or you are having multiples.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The midwifery model of care focuses on overall health and prevention of risk factors. The obstetric model of care focuses on diagnosing medical problems and fixing them. Many pregnancy related complications can be prevented with proper nutrition and fitness, management of stress and adequate rest. "Prevention is the best medicine" - or so they say. For healthy women who do not have true medical risks, the midwifery model of care offers lower risk of unnecessary medical intervention. For women who have TRUE medical concerns, then an obstetrician is necessary. Those are just some preliminary thoughts. Some people do need obstetricians, but not anywhere near as many as have them in our country. Less than 1% of women receive midwifery care.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Also - I think it's irresponsible for a healthy woman to take up an obstetricians time. They should have their time free to manage women with serious health complications, but they have to manage HUGE caseloads because that's how our system is set up. Granted, our birth culture and legal climate weigh more heavily in favor of the obstetric model - but I think it creates more problems than it solves.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• SaraP...
    Are you just trying to argue about something?

no- I was responding to your response. I don't think your answer is based on facts, just opinions. And I'm in the market for facts.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 2:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

So how is a woman supposed to know that she's going to have a healthy pregnancy, therefore should retain a midwife instead of an OBGYN? Your answer doesn't make sense to me. And women who are healthy with healthy pregnancies who do get midwives, why do they still expect OBGYNs to save their lives if complications arise?
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 2:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

So why would it be better to go to a midwife if you don't have serious medical issues or are only having 1?
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 2:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i usually don't agree with SaraP on anything but it is proven that Midwives do not take money into account when treating clients, they will come up with payment plans, barter for goods, and waive fees. A midwife for prenatal care and delivery usually only costs a total of $2500 where as an OB total cost can be up to $25,000. They are also more centered on planning a birth around the needs and wants of the family involved where OB's stick to hospital policies and silly rules. I am high risk so I use an OB, but I did my research and found one that has a midwife mentality.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2010