Getting negative coments about being interested in water birth....

I'm not 100% decided yet but after months of research I'm leaning towards a water birth when the time comes to deliver my son. I have not asked for anyone's opinion but have gotten plenty of them and the majority are negative. Why is this? I know water birth isn't for everyone and that's perfectly ok but why shoot it down? I don't think people know enough information about it most of the time when they speak negatively about it. I get a lot of people asking me why the heck I would want to go through pain when I don't have to or that water birth is gross, unsafe...etc. It's frustrating and insulting. It's simply another birthing option and it's becoming more and more widely accepted and is usually considered very safe if you're not high risk. It's even being offered in many hospitals now. I would like to hear from moms who have had positive experiences with water births and what they liked about it.I've heard enough negative.

Court128

Asked by Court128 at 3:00 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They just don't like change. :) My sister had a water birth at the hospital in the jacuzzi. She said it was awesome!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The chapter leader of ICAN in my area had a water birth with her second. It was a VBAC nonetheless. She loved it!! While I don't think I would do a water birth, I would do a homebirth or in my state, they have midewifery type hospital. I congratulate you on your choice!

SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I so wanted to have a water birth...but my medical conditions will not allow me to have a safe delivery doing it that way. I say do it anyway if that is what you want.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 3:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Another issue is that I have Tricare Standard. I have to find out if they will even cover a water birth. I'm thinking I might have some problems there and I don't have the money to completely pay out of pocket.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 3:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can come up with payment play with the attending midwife to ease the burden. Also people say this stuff because they are ignorant and uninformed. Next time tell them to do their research before opening their big fat mouth.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Payment Plan sorry my brain and fingers aren't working together.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Midwives are great about helping those who cannot afford the service, they want you to have a great birth not to make you poor, talk to them about it and I bet they will work something out if insurance won't cover.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had a C the first time around and would love either a homebirth or a waterbirth the next time around! DO NOT let women/family put you down! YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE! If you feel you can do this, go for it! My dd was breech and backwards so it was very hard to avoid a C section.... no, I am not a mom who had any kind of experiece, but I have heard from many who have! And even who had a vaginal delivery (which I would've loved to have but couldn't!) but I would have gone for a waterbirth in a second!!! If you feel you can, GO FOR IT!

I have tricare prime.... but damn! They didn't cover my stay at a MENTAL HOSPITAL for PPD!!! Do what you can! Even if it's just hospital without drugs! They might try to push C section on you but stick to what YOU want!!! I didn't and was completely depressed for 13 mos! Then I learned I couldn't have changed her postion after they tried!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• ive never had a water birth, but ive heard wonderful things about them. I hear that the women feel more relaxed and less stress in the warm water. I say ignore all of the negative comments your hearing and go for it!!!! BTW congrats on your pregnancy.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I know of plenty of waterbirthing women. I have had 2 myself. And I have attended several others.
    ONLY positive experiences here!!!!!!!!! :-D

People are quick to judge something they know nothing about.
    Do they really know the risks for choosing other pain-coping options like drugs?? (Probably not, or not very well.)

Waterbirth is a really (!) amazing alternative to an epidural (AKA "the midwife's epidural").
    *Don't knock it until you try it, right?! ;-P
    (Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, they say.)

I am glad you are working on researching this and staying strong, even when questioned...
    Do you have a supportive SO and midwife?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010