Are there other moms dealing with their own mental illness?

I just wonder if this is still a taboo subject? I know there are still alot of predjudiced opinions about mental illness, but is it something we should hide?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I deal with mine. I know that there are a lot of people that are ashamed of it, as I used to be. I've come to realize that it's not something I can control, so why should I be ashamed of it? I've also found that by being so open about it, it seems to empower others to open up about it as well. It is also therapeutic to talk to others about it that are going through the same thing. I think it's better to be open about it and get help for it than to deny it and let it consume you. Hiding it decreases awareness and creates prejudiced opinions because people fear what they don't understand. It should be considered equally as cruel to judge someone with a mental illness as it would be to judge someone in a wheelchair.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I will post anon. I am sorry but evn though it should not be that ppl treat others differently,they do. I have two kids I have to bring up and in a small town. I don't want them to feel bad because of ME or get teesed.
    I have generalized anxiety disorder. It it really hard to manage a house and take of two kids w/ADHD while I am a nervous wreck. I do my best and I try to affirm myself daily that,that is all I CAN do. I know there is a lot curious ppl in my community because I keep to myself alot but I don't have the time for friendships or volunteer work right now. My dh told me that if I opened up and told ppl about my disorder they would just write our family off as a bunch a freeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Wow that's awful that you have to bear all of that on your own. I'm so sorry. Generalized anxiety disorder isn't the worst thing a person could have. I think anyone with two children that have ADHD and a husband that doesn't sound the least bit sensitive (forgive me if that's not the case, I'm just basing that off of what you said that he said) would have anxiety. It could happen to anyone and it's more common than people think. My husband is from a small town, and one thing I've noticed is that everyone was really close and willing to help each other out. I strongly doubt that your family would be written off as a bunch of freaks if you confided in someone and told them about your disorder. It's not like you're going to display it on a billboard for the whole town to see for pete's sake. If you have anxiety and are taking the appropriate measures to get help for it, that shows strength and should be admired. (cont'd)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If you were a drug addict or an alcoholic, I could see your husband being worried about your family being judged on that, but anxiety? Everyone gets anxiety. Does that make everyone freaks? Absolutely not. You deserve to have lots of love and support to help you through this. I don't know if you are comfortable doing this or not, but if you need to talk, don't hesitate to contact me. I won't judge you, only God can do that. If not, I completely understand, but know that the offer is there.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have a horribe anxiety disorder which often gives me depression. I'm angoriphobic (sp?) the fear of crowds. um- I'm also an alcoholic because how do kids deal with anxiety now days? but i'm in recovery. I'm very open with people about these things, if they don't like it the can eff off. if i loose friends because of it or they think i'm a "freak" they were never a friend to begin with.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 10:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I am Medicated for your safety!
    LOL one of my favorite on this subject. I never understood my moods, always thought it was everyone else until I finally found a great Dr who finally found the right med for me. (Cycle something blah blah like bi-polar but not as extreme) I am much happier and normal to be around and so are those around me. So taboo? maybe ,but for those close to me, I told the truth, trust me they could see the change anyway, just wanted to know how!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I mood swing so bad I can hardly stand it, and my sisters think I'm nuts for it. Thanks sis for not trusting me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yes, I have Asperger's Syndrome which pretty much gives people an array of symptoms and mental disorders. So far it has caused me depression, anxiety, and learning problems. I live it. I used to hate it but I can accept it a lot better as I get older.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I suffer from anxiety, depression and a touch of OCD (IMO caused the other two to happen) I am a little sceptical about prescription meds. They scare me due to the side effects so I haven't been on any meds. I do talk therapy though...I struggle but I'm making progress.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yes, I have Bipolar disorder and I also have ADHD. I have terrible mood swings, paranoia, I hear voices (though I don't know what they are saying) and the depression end is also a huge part of it too. If you think you have a mental disorder of any kind, don't 'hesiate to see your doctor.

I don't tell a lot of people IRL about mine because even to me, I sound like a nutjob. But I do try to talk about it online because there are so many who do need the help, but are too afraid to, so I talk about it in hopes that they know they aren't alone, and that you can get help and its OK to get help. I hope that makes sense.

And if anyone here is bipolar or even thinks they are bipolar, feel free to join the group Bipolar Diaries, thank you!
    Cathy1983km

Answer by Cathy1983km at 11:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2010