potty training, any advice??

Ok I have a little boy who will be 3 next month. Hes very smart and understands the whole concept of using the restroom etc. but yet he is so stubborn and will still pee his big boy underwear at times. I really want to start putting him in big boy underwear even when we go out somewhere but Im afraid of a horrible accident at the worst time, like say checking out with a basket full of groceries or something. How do I know when hes fully potty trained?? How did you potty train your kid?

Ilovemychi

Asked by Ilovemychi at 8:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son learned by going with his dad. When my husband would go to the bathroom, he would ask our son to go in there with him. After a while, he wanted to "pee like daddy". Once he peed in the bathroom, we would make a huge deal about it. Clapping, cheering, and a "dum dum" to follow.

We've been training for 10 months and have only had one accident in public.
    MGuyton81

Answer by MGuyton81 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010