How can I get my 6 month old to lay down for the night at 8 or 9 o clock at night? He wants to stay up til 10 or 11

I have 2 kids, a 2 year old and a 6 month old, and the 2 year old goes down anywhere from 7 to 7:30 at night. I can't get my 6 month old to do that, if he does go down at that time, he wakes back up about 8 and wants to stay up til 10 or 11. I've tried everything, I rock him, give him orajel, make sure his belly is full, how can i make him go down at 8 or 9 without wanting to get back up? he wakes up 2 times thru the middle of the night wanting a bottle at that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is probably going through a growth spurt. The more active babies become, the more calories they need. Try feeding him a little more throughout the day, or increase the amount that he eats. He may still be hungry when he finishes his bottle. Also, do you have a bedtime routine? If you do the same thing every night, he will get into the routine and will start getting sleepy when the bedtime cues start happening. It's a game of trial and error, whatever you do, don't let him cry it out though. Just putting it out there because a lot of people have been suggesting that people do that.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• oh i've never let any of my kids cry it out, to me someone who lets their kids cry it out is someone whos given up but thanks alot though, i'll try that today and see if it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have a 7 month old who was the same way. I just kept him busy from about 5-8...no napping. I would put him on his tummy for a while, let him jump in his Johnny Jump Up, let him splash around in the tub. Keep him busy to let him get good and tired. Feed him really good and off to bed he went and stayed down. I did that for a good 3 or 4 days and his routine went back to normal.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Simply put, you probably can't. 6 mos is still a baby, and they're on their own timetables for awhile. Waking 2 times at night is great! I mean, sure, not waking at all is even better for you, but twice isn't really a lot. I'd just give it time. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010