Any advice for acid reflux?

My baby has acid reflux and slow digestion. He is scheduled to see a GI specialist soon. I would like to chat with other mothers whose babies are the same.
Projectile vomiting, spits up 24/7, sleep problems...

mdenno

Asked by mdenno at 8:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my sister had this when she was a baby. she ended being diagnosed with an underdeveloped digestive system even though she was full term. my mom could breast feed her cause too much would make her projectile vomit and she couldn't have formula due to other issues. so, my mom pumped and got a flexible bottle that can be squeezed. she would dribble the milk in my sister's mouth just to get food into her system. eventually it caught up, but without that special bottle, she would have starved in front of our eyes. as far as i recall, she was not diagnosed with acid reflux but then that was 16 years ago and a lot has changed.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My son had projectile vomiting 24/7 too! However, it didn't really bother him like it was burning or anything. But his problem was Pyloric Stenosis. Which before we found out what was actually the matter, drs changed his formula to everythign out there and put him on meds for acid reflux. Nothing helped him until we finally took him to our Children's Hospital. There in the ER is where we found out he had PS. Read up about it, its real common in first born while males. Good Luck with everything.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son was similar. His vomit was able to be drastically lessened with a hypo-allergenic formula, Nutramigen. He was on Zantac for almost a year, then was off for over a year. Over the summer he started having obvious issues again, randomly vomiting and pretty much stopped eating. The GI put him on Axid with very little improvement, so then we moved to Prevacid which has been a lifesaver from the first dose. My son is HAPPY, sleeping well and eating is his favorite hobby again, lol. A GI can really be a lifesaver. My only regret is not pushing to have him sent younger. He was 2 before he saw the GI.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2010