In the eyes of the law,is it okay if my 2 girls sleep in the same bed?

I have 2 girls ,ages 9 and 6,they share a room and sleep in the same bed.A social worker that I know told me that the girls have to have their own beds,does anyone know if this is definite.I am in the middle of a custody evaluation and it is going to come up and im trying to figure out if I should buy another bed.

melissa70461

Asked by melissa70461 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• While most people see nothing wrong with it, the law can. It depends on the state. but many of them require that children each have their won bed. In cases of opposite sexes even their own rooms. Check with local child services and see what the laws are where you are. If you are that worried, go to an outlet store and get a second cheap bed. But don't force the change. If the second bed is there and they don't want to sleep in it, I wouldn't make them. The point is that you are providing it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I would consider getting bunk beds. Look on Craigslist to see if you can find a used set.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• yes the girls need own beds sharing room is fine but have to have own sleeping space.......try freecycle if you cant afford one lots of pple give stuff away free of charge you just have to pick it up and most is in you local area
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I really don't know and it may depend on the state that you are in. My sister and I shared a bed for a long time. We hated sleeping alone until we were older.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Call do so CPS in your state or city and ask them. I don't see anything wrong with it and know people that have their same sex kids sleeping in the same bed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'd get the bed, your friend is a social worker and she should know. We have temporary custody of my SIL (9) and we had to move the boys together and they had to have their own beds. Now how they actually sleep is another matter!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• SO the governmentis now telling us who sleeps where ... they take our money and tell us what to do ... how horrid .. they have no business in your business I am so sad they cant take care of there things... and leave u alone this is not what the constitution says LORD HELP YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN  THAT IS NOT BREAKING A LAW ASK THE ACLJ .. http://www.aclj.org/  

Anonymous

• Isnt this a sad state of affairs that you even have to worry about this. I slept with my sister in a double bed till I was a teenager. I would contact your local child protective services get the name and ID number of the person you talk to so you can reference them if needed.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010