Is there anything wrong(legally)if I have 3 children and I have a 2 bedroom house?

I am in the middle of a custody evaluation and I am wondering if I can be faulted for not having "my own room".My son has his own room and my 2 girls share the other.This works well for us because the rent is affordable and I am a single mom,but I am concerned that it could be an issue in court.

melissa70461

Asked by melissa70461 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, this should not be an issue. You went so far as to give up having your own room for your children. I highly doubt a judge will fault you for that. As long as your children have a roof over their head and food in their stomach then you should be just fine. Good luck. You sound like a great mom. :)
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• okay three bedrooms. so you have one, your son has one, and your two girls share one. Nope that is just fine. Its two to a room, but boys and girls have to have separate rooms. So you should be good. at least that's how it is here in OK.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• okay, I see you only have a two bed home. Well in that case you need your own room and I think that might be a issue as to your kids being exposed to you when you change and things like that.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Actually yes. At lest here in PA it's an issue. When my mother was dealing with this stuff she was told that she had to have a separate bedroom for herself, and each of us kids. They even sent someone to check the house. What saved her was that she had more bedrooms than her ex. Even through my sister and I shared a room it was better than what he was offering. But you not having a room can be a huge issue. It opens the door for things like Adult nudity or even sexual activities being open display for the kids - in the eyes of the law. Weather you are doing this stuff or not is irrelevant the law is preventative in cases like these.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• As long as its clean, organized there is no issue here.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• This if anything will supply them with the knowledge, you gave up a room to give yo your children, an unselfish motherly gesture. Absolutely nothing illegal about your arrangement.

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I don't know. I guess it can depend on where you live. I'm sure you won't be changing your clothes in the middle of the living room. That's why we have bathrooms. Your kids have their own room and imo I don't see a problem with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Maybe you could corner off a section of your living room, just big enough for a dresser and mattress for you. You can hang sheets up to do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It shouldn't be an issue, they are only concerned with your childrens rooms not yours. You are allowed to sleep on the couch.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have 5 kids in a three bdrm with me having my own room. I don't think they can say anything. Through the years we have had all kinds of configurations on sleeping arrangements and have never had a problem. I know a single mom that has a one bdrm apt so her daughter shares a room w/ her, she has bEen investigated by CPS a they didn't have a problem w/ it. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2010