Special needs kids.

I have a 13 year old special needs son. He has no diagnosis, and we most likely won't get one, according to the 3rd peds. neurologist. He is potty trained during the day, but not at night. I don't know what to do. He wears a goodnights to bed, but they leak several times a week. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this under control? He doesn't drink much before bed, and he goes to the bathroom before bed. I just don't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son is a great deal younger than yours (not quite two), I just wanted to suggest joining a special needs groups here on CafeMom, you are much more likely to get some good responses to your question by doing this.  Here's the link to one of my favorite special needs groups:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/24297  The owner of the group has an adult son, so she specifically may be able to help you out =)

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Another great resource would be your local autism society. I know you said your son doesn't have a diagnosis, but there are lots of autistic kids whose parents deal with this. My son is 12 and is trained, so I really don't know how they deal with it except that I know they get special "adult diapers" from somewhere.
    Have you tried one of the alarms that goes off when he pees at night?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• No, where do you get the alarms? I've heard of devices, but I don't know anything about them, or where to find them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• There are a few choices (btw, I have a 14 y/o son, also undiagnosed, but we're getting closer) -

You could do the bed alarm and hope it doesn't scare the dinkus out of him when it goes off. Here's a link to one I found online: http://www.pottypager.com/; if you want others, google "bedwetting alarm".

You could switch to a disposable adult or teen brief/diaper (Tena and Dry Comfort have youth-sized briefs), possibly with the addition of a doubler, or to a cloth version youth-size diaper or pull-on (http://www.babykins.com/youth-cloth-brief.html), which would be cheaper because they're reuseable. Because both the disposables & cloth versions are sized larger, they are also designed to hold more liquid than the child-size Goodnights.

You could also try medication for enuresis, specifically desmopressin, also called DDAVP. Find more info here: http://children.webmd.com/desmopressin-for-bed-wetting#hw211364)
    Anonymous

• I HAVE AN ADULT DAUGHTER WITH A DISABILITY WE USE THE UNDER PADS AND 2 DIAPERS AT NIGHT TO STOP THE LEAKS. THE GOOD NIGHTS ARE FOR LITTLE ONES AND ARE NOT ABSORBENT ENOUGH FOR AN OLDER CHILD. ALSO, TO FIND OUT WHAT YOUR CHILD MIGHT HAVE ANY LOCAL CHILDRENS HOSPITAL HAS A DIAGNOSIS CENTER THAT COULD HELP WITH FINDING OUT WHAT THE DISABILITY IS. GOOD LUCK!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My oldest is 13 and is ASD. He still wets at night. He sleeps so deep he does not wake up. We use adult pull ups on him to help with the wetting. His doctor said that we could put my son on medication (for wetting) and that would help. The doctor also suggested that my son 'excersise' his bladder by doing the following: When peeing stop the stream, then start, stop, start, stop. And to do this a few times each time he pees.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Ohio, he's been to 3 peds neurologist. The last one at John's Hopkins. He has been tested for everything that they can think of, and on of the neurologists called in several other's to help. MRI's show slow growing myelin. Muscle biopsy was inconclusive. I don't think we will get a diagnosis. And that sucks, especially since he seems to have more difficulty moving around lately, I'm terrified he is physically regressing. I've got him in PT, and am getting him back in to see another neurologist. I wish we knew what we are dealing with.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• go see your childs doctor and discuss this problem with him. he should know how to help you with this. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't know how to potty train at night, but my son has West Syndrome and is not potty trained at all... I agree with a previous poster who said the goodnights just wont work, (even though they go up to his weight). We get pediatric pullups through a medical supply company, and our insurance even pays for them! They work much better because they aren't for little accidents, but for fully un-potty trained kiddos. The brand we get is Curity- sleep pants. the insurance would also pay for chux pads to keep on his bed, but I don't use them. Worh looking into! If your insurance WONT pay for them, I recewntly discovered that the Safeway brand of sleep pants is the exact same. It's Curity, but with a different label and about 1/4 of the price! So if you have a Safeway, ask them to order the ones in your son's size! Good luck. Wish I could help with the actual training!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2010