A question about why the bronze snake Moses made got broken into pieces...I promise I won't delete this question

If the bronze snake that Moses had made was broke into pieces because the Israelites had been burning incense to it (see 2 Kings 18:1-4), then why is it okay for the Catholic priests to bow to and incense the crucifix?

(I will post more information in next couple of posts.)
_______

Yesterday there were very good answers to this question only to have anti Catholic mom delete them . Please repeat the answers here. I promise I am not going to delete this question. This will a chance of for your responses to stick around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'll answer since it'll stick around. The problem wasn't that the Isrealites were buring incense it was that they were adoring the statue as a god. Catholic priests do not view the alter or the crucifix as a god and do not idolize the objects. The objects are repesentations or reminders of Christ - it is God they are worshipping. I

ncense itself is very biblical. John describes an angel with a golden censer offering incense before the throne of God.  The Magi bring incense as an offering to Christ (Matt. 2:11).   It was an integral part in Jewish worship, mandated by God (Ex. 30:1-9). "Throughout your generations this shall be the established incense offering before the Lord" (Ex. 30:1-9). Aaron makes an offering of incense (Lev. 16:12-13). Zechariah makes an offering of incense in the sanctuary (Luke 1:8-12). Catholic priest use incense just as the bible instructs people to do.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Here is part of an article and link that may help:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07664a.htm

In both East and West the reverence we pay to images has crystallized into formal ritual. In the Latin Rite the priest is commanded to bow to the cross in the sacristy before he leaves it to say Mass ("Ritus servandus" in the Missal, II, 1); he bows again profoundly "to the altar or the image of the crucifix placed upon it" when he begins Mass (ibid., II, 2); he begins incensing the altar by incensing the crucifix on it (IV, 4), and bows to it every time he passes it (ibid.); he also incenses any relics or images of saints that may be on the altar (ibid.). In the same way many such commands throughout our rubrics show that always a reverence is to be paid to the cross or images of saints whenever we approach them.
    Cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• ***I enjoyed the cake and yummy candy yesterday, but please let this one go for serious answers for the time being thanks***

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• what is the point?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my only point harinazi, it there ARE good responses to this, it IS a valid question and the responses were good. A few women took time to explain only to have the answers deleted. The question has been posted three times by the same person who deletes the question along with the valid answers.

I am sorry if you do not like the question, but I bet this won't be the last time we see the question.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The reason was because the Israelites begun to worship the snake in place of god and to view the snake as a god. The crucifix is merely a tool that helps Catholics visualize what God means to them. They do not worship the cross itself as the Israelites did the bronze snake.

This is teh answer I had on the very first question, I promise to behave on this one as long as it does not become a bash session for other faiths, if it does, I'm coming back with cake!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• thanks Krisit! I really just want the answers to be front and center. After I get the answers I will most likely close the question. That way when the question is asked the moms who responded can quickly grab their answers and post.

As for bashing other faiths, let some of the Catholic mom respond before you give us a cake or two :) I never knew Catholics understood the bible so well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well, the cake was really only because the question HAD been answered and the OP kept at it. So we posted cake instead of answers teh next 2 times she asked the exact same thing. I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at it all last night. LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well, I do wish that this question would just go away. It's been enough. The original question stemmed from another question where her answer was really seen as bashing by nearly everyone. Add to that, a couple of other Catholic bashing questions, and well... you get cake and candy I guess.

I never knew Catholics understood the bible so well.

No offense, but this is why people look at things as bashing. I know you are not bashing, but just read it again and tell me what you would thing if your denomination was inserted, instead of 'Catholic'.

Anonymous

• Anyway, catholic priests bow, etc out of respect. For lack of time, that's all I really can say. Aren't we all in some mindset of reverence when we pray, etc? It's no different. It is putting us in a frame of mind to pray and worship GOD, nothing else. Statues, a crucifix, etc, those are all reminders of what and who God is, and of those who were close to God. Pretty simple huh?

Until the invention of the printing press, the Bible wasn't easily copied and distributed, and many people couldn't read. Statues and pictures (stained glass windows) were all a way to tell the Bible's stories to the masses. They have not been, nor are they now, worshipped.

Anonymous