Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorced/Separated mommies: How much child support do you get for one child?

My husband and I are separating, most likely divorcing. We have a 1 year old daughter, who I will have custody of. He has an $11/hr job plus he makes a monthly commission check. If I asked for $250 in child support, does that sound about right?

Also, if you're divorced/separated, how were you able to make it on your own? I got to counting up the bills, and if I keep the house, have custody of my daughter, and work the job I'm working now (min. wage), I will have to work 42+ hrs a week, which will make my daycare costs go up. I will most likely have to sign up for Section 8, heating assistance, or likewise. How did you do it and still make it?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Can you not get a job making more than minimum wage? I started out waiting tables and made more than minimum wage, and then after a year or so they offered me management which was 36K/year. I would advise you to look for a different job, but in the meantime apply for whatever assistance you need - it's there for short term use, take advantage of it while you try to better your situation.
    As far as child support - there are child support calculators online, just good child support calc and your state - one should come up and you will put in the amount you both make, number of children, and how custody/visitation works (how many overnights with each parent). $250 for one child sounds a little low to me, but it would depend on your area.
    You may also not be able to keep the house, and if you do you may have to buy him out of his share, just keep that in mind.

    Answer by missanc at 10:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • If I were you, I would not set the amount yourself. Let the child support enforcement people handle setting the amount. You will get more. the amount you said isn't even 1/2 of one week of his pay! way too low!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I agree let the court decided,plus he will have to pay half of daycare.

    Answer by officerdouglas at 10:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Definitely go throught the courts...and in addition to child support, he should be required to provide medical insurance for her, 1/2 of daycare/after school costs (that may be until age 13 or so), and you'll also want to throw in something about extra-curricular activities, and college tuition. Long way off, I know, but all of that will factor in one day and you want some type of legal document spelling it all out. FWIW, my husband pays his ex-wife $600 per month in CS for one child, he provides medical, pays half of out of pocket medical (co-pays/scripts/etc), and is required to pay 1/2 of college. He also pays 1/2 of SS's braces/ortho care and over the years has paid half of his extra-curricular activites, soccer, fencing, karate, etc... and in our state, its until he is 22 years old! Some states are as low as 18, you really need to consult a lawyer.

    Answer by gramsmom at 10:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Yes, DEF go thru the courts and have all the 'details' included in a court order (in writing). Make sure you cover everything you think you will possible need for your include her future! ;)

    My hubbys X was so busy trying to screw dh over way back when they were going thru a divorce...she didn't bother thinking about her children's future. (college, etc) Now, all these years later when she attempted to get dh to have to pay for college....the CO says 19 or otherwise emancipated. Guess what? Dh will NOT have to pay HER directly the support for post secondary education...nor carry insurance, etc. etc. He is however going to help his son on his own...directly to his son. ;)

    Answer by Loryl at 11:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • My friend got $750 per child. She has 3 kids. I don't think that seems like very much but she also got alimony so that helped too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • yes you have every right to ask & get your child support $250.00 that only breaks down to about 62 a week, and it sure does cost a lot more than that to support your child and he will just have to work some extra hrs or something to fullfill his fatherly responsibility start saving every reciept from grocery shopping clothes for your child and school supplies etc and remember to include what it takes to keep the roof over you & your childs head, good luck and dont feel guilty about it !

    Answer by southernstarr at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Google the child support calculator for your state to find out how much he has to pay

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I got none. He quit his job of 15 yrs and worked under the table to escape happens all the time. It may not be fair or right, but women should make sure they can support their kids alone, because you cannot ever count on a man for too long. I wish you luck,,,but don't count on that money.

    Answer by salexander at 12:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I got no child support... he signed over his rights when my son was a year old. I worked a minimum wage job and managed my money very well... I had no extras like internet or anything like that and somehow it just worked out and we never had to go without. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Just remember that you can do this with or without.


    Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

Next question in Just for Fun