What should we use to melt the ice on our driveway?

We have a thin layer of ice on our driveway that has us stuck at home. A friend of ours is on his way to pick us up for a ride to Home Depot so we can get whatever we need to de-ice the driveway.

I've heard rock salt is highly corrosive to the driveway, our cars, and our yard, and that sand will clog our storm drain at the bottom of our driveway. What should we get instead?

Sagely

Asked by Sagely at 11:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can buy a chemical de-icer if you want, but honestly, salt is going to be the best bet. You don't need to use a large amount. Yes, what you said is true about salt being corrosive on the driveway and car. But as far as the driveway goes, that's over time and if you use too much, and as far as the cars go, you just take it through a car wash, and get the undercarriage wash option. (Also, it doesn't have to be rock salt - any salt will work, even your basic table salt.)

Or, you go with the salt, which isn't exactly going to melt the ice so much as just give you traction on it and wear it away (and will also be corrosive on your drive and stuff).

De-icer will also melt the snow, but it is a chemical, and it does leach into the soil, drains, etc, just like any other chemical. Again, you don't need to use a lot of it.

Honestly, either way, it's just one of those things you have to deal with when you have icy roads.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• SAND

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• lol - sorry, in my first post, I said "or, you could go with salt, which isn't exactly going to melt the ice..."

I meant sand, not salt.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'd put sand down for traction, and wait for the sun to melt it naturally. Anything you could put down to melt it is going to be damaging to you cement & lawn.
    Anonymous