Why should women have to wear skirts or dresses?

My cousin is married to a man who doesn't want her to wear pants. He says it causes men to think 'dirty' un-godly thoughts. I want to know why women should be punished (I look at being TOLD you HAVE to wear a skirt a punishment) because men don't have the will power to keep the sexual thoughts from their minds? Why should women be treated as objects of lust and forced to hide their bodies because of the perverted thoughts of men?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If she doesn't want to wear them, then no, it's not his place to MAKE her do it. It sounds like it's not really about pants, it's a power struggle. He wants to prove that he's the boss, and she has to do what he says. Also, that she's HIS property, and no other man should look at her.

Which, honestly, is silly, since, as I mentioned before, modesty isn't dictated by whether you wear pants or skirts, it's what kind of pants, or what kind of skirts, you're wearing. If I'm running around in my sweats or a pair of old jeans, a T-shirt, no makeup, hair a mess, etc, I am going to cause a lot less "lustful thoughts" than if I was wearing a short skirt, a sexy top, makeup, hair done, etc...

This is a power struggle, and if she doesn't want to wear skirts, then don't. I think though, if this isn't the only issue, she might need marriage counseling or, maybe, a divorce down the line :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Her husband is a freak!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I wear pants, but my behind is so big men aren't lusting :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My question is why is she going to marry such an individual. Weak woman.
    Anonymous

• Some will tell you the bible states that women should dress that way.
    I think it's just another way to keep women inferior....a common theme in some religions.
    It irks me to no end. Moreso that some women buy into that way of thinking.
    If my wearing a skirt causes a man to have lustful thoughts, thats HIS problem, NOT MINE>
    It's like blaming the rape victim with wearing a short skirt, so she was 'asking for it".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Her husband is a Pakistani Muslim. She converted to Islam at the time they married, but soon changed her mind and although he is accepting of her decision, he still thinks she shouldn't wear pants. He doesn't want other men looking at her ass and walking around with a boner. Why is it HER fault a man looks and can't control his thoughts or actions?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Is he an Orthodox Jew? Because their conducts of modesty have not been changed by cultural influence over the years. I have no problem with how they dress because they have dressed modest throughout history. I think it is cool to stick to your standards even when culture changes.

Usually when Christians make rules like that it is different though. Some Christian groups are extremely legalistic, and make dressing "little house on the prairie" a value that determines your salvation and makes you "better" than other people.

Either way, if she wants to go along with it though then she is probably fine with it. Was he like that when she married him?

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have some friends who think this way, and they are very devout, and very caring, non judging people. It works for them, and they respect that not everyone feels this way (they also don't wear makeup, and are vegetarian and eat almost entirely organic or home - made / grown).

I also have friends who did this, because they felt that scriptures said they had to, and that it was basically a modesty / he lustful thoughts thing. When actually, what it talks about is trying to pass yourself off as a man when you're a woman, or vice versa, and you aren't supposed to dress like a tramp. When I pointed out to her that there are a lot of very immodest dresses / skirts out there, and a lot of very modest pants, it became more a matter of obeying the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law, and therefore, was basically very "Philistine" in that case. Btw, it wasn't too long after that that she started wearing pants.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Oh, he is Muslim. Okay. Yeah, but they are facing a similar controversy over the women who want to dress modern and the values of traditional modesty. Different husbands too have different ideas about how they want their women to dress.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• cont

But the thing is, in the end, regardless of what the reason is, or what we think of it, he has the right to think that way, and she obviously doesn't have a problem with it, or she wouldn't be marrying him. Now, if he started to say that YOU had to wear dresses all the time, then you would be able to argue that...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2010