Does your young adult drink?

Worried about my child drinking too much. Does your child 18 on up drink?
Do not know what to do....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Drinking too much is usually a sign of using alcohol as a crutch of some sort, find out what is behind the drinking.

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If your young adult is in college then it is something normal that takes place. If they can't get through the day w/o a drink then they may be in trouble and you may need to do a family type of intervention to get them into AA.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My sons are 18 and 19 and we let them have a few beers and some Mike's on NYE and then the other night my 18yo had a Mike's because it was there (left over from NYE). We won't let him have another one though. There's no need for them to get in to the habit of daily drinking just because it's there. BUT....my 19yo leaves for basic training in July and will finish all of his schooling in March '11 so after that, he may drink a little before he turns 21 in Aug. '11 but he'll be in the Army. My 18yo leaves for college in June and yeah, he might drink. He knows to be responsible about it though.
    Anonymous

• If he's in collerge dorms , it can't be helped he's drinking with his friends , its not a great idea just tell him to becareful and to try not to over do it.And not to drink so much all the time. But if he's home, I guess you can let him drink once in a while but not too much , on times like nye. graduation , or his birthday, but only at home where he can be watched how much he drinks by you. and not enough to get drunk. maybe no more then 3 beers, When.he does. besides that I wouldn't want him drinking.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• im only 19. in college but married to my hubby that is going to be 23. we have the ocasional drink but no getting drunk. and i Live in a party town. but i guess it all depends on the kid. the reason we dont drink alot is we've known a lot of people that have died, drunk drving and murder and chocking on their throw up. my parents had always let me have sips off their drinks since i was 6. but im no alcoholic. i guess if your extremely strick it will only make them want to do it more, but thats my thought.
    Anonymous

• My children didn't but my grandkids seem to feel the need to drink. I'm not happy about that since drinking age is 21 and they are close but not legal age to drink yet. I just hope they are smart enough to not drink and drive.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son is 25 and will have a beer occasionally. I have never known him to be drunken though and he is a very responsible person overall. I have visited his place several times over the last three months and the same three beers are in the back of the fridge, probably even dusty...lol, so I am not concerned about him in this regard.
    Anonymous

• In Germany the legal drinking age is 16, there is less alcoholism and fewer drunk driving accidents than there are here in the states. They are not allowed to drive though until they are 18 though. Our adult children know what we expect, NOT to get in a car with someone who has been drinking (our oldest faced this and refused to go :o) ) and if they have been drinking, they either call us for a ride home or crash at their friends. I don't think letting your adult children drink at home is horrible or that you are a bad parent, just don't make it a habit and make sure THEY know it's not something that will become a habit!!
    Michellek89

Answer by Michellek89 at 6:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If they're not of legal age, then you're just teaching them to disregard the law. What other laws are ok to break? I realize that teenagers drink, but we, as parents, have the responsibility to teach respect for the law. If you're telling them it's ok to drink, then you're telling them it's ok to break the law. Show them they can have fun with their friends doing other things that don't involve alcohol. Set a good example. Adults around my rural area don't seem to grow out of this "college" phase even in their 40's and 50's. Sad. Alcohol is supposed to be used by adults to relax or to enjoy socially, not to get out-of-control drunk.
    pkdrummer

Answer by pkdrummer at 2:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010