Breast Feeding...

Ok Here it goes... I formula fed my first, without hesitation.. I just didn't like the idea of breast feeding... Now my second is on it's way... within 3 weeks :) But, now I'm thinking about breast feeding... I don't even know where to begin or what I should know.. I know theres a million mom out there who are all for breast feeding.. so I'm looking for what all you moms have to say.. Advice, What I need to eat, not eat, what I need to buy, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!! Please! Thank you!

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Breast feeding is the beast for babies because it helps their immune system and it's easier on them. I had a hard time with my first so I pumped and bottled fed him. My second i had an easier time. I have 6 more weeks until our lil girl gets here and I plan on breast feeding her. It's cheaper because you don't have to buy formula. I stayed away from spicy foods and asked my Dr. what I needed to avoid while nursing. You will need to buy nursing bra's and pads. I think they have shirts that r easier to nurse with.
    emilyt

Answer by emilyt at 12:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• congrats on your second baby. I can tell you i tried to breastfeed my first son, but gave up way to easily. i wanted to BF my second son, but when he was born we found out he had Down Syndorme...he would not latch on due to his mouth shape and low muscle tone. But i did pump for 7months every day. With my 3rd son i exclusively breasfed and it went very well. It is so much easier to BF than to bottle feed in my oppinion. No preparing, no cleaning bottles. I highly recommend purchasing something called MyBreastFriend....its sort of like a boppy, but more comfortable for baby and you i think. it latches on the side and also has a pocket for a burp cloth...i got mine at babiesRUS. i stayed away from foods that are too gassy or spicy, for example green peppers bothered my little one. Each baby reacts differently to diff. foods. I also bought a cover for when i BF ouside of the home. BF on demand is best also. no timedfeeds
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i wanted to also say that feeding on demand may not work for you, but that is what worked best for us. i am due again with baby boy #4 in April and i cant wait to BF again..its such a wonderful bonding experience.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can be successful with education, encouragement, and support.

Try joining a La Leche League meeting, they will help a LOT! (You can do that while still pregnant!) Even bring your older child, too.
    You can get the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding--- very helpful!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• check out:

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Number one rule of Breastfeeding: KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly!) The reason so many women have such a hard time breastfeeding is because we overcomplicate it. I ahve done it myself. It is overwhelming at first because the baby wants to eat constantly, and you have so many fears (is pain normal? is he latching right? Do I have enough milk? etc.) , but if we keep it simple, nurse baby every time he is hungry, assure ourselves that he is getting plenty to eat, and just go with our instincts, all will be well. I really recommend the Breastfeeding Moms group on here. It is a wonderful resource! An dif you have any questions feel free to contact me! Good luck and congrats Momma!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 12:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• ETA: please excue the typos, NAK
    ArmyMom2oneboy

• I second the advice to contact your local La Leche League and reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2010