Breast Feeding

Ok Here it goes... I formula fed my first, without hesitation.. I just didn't like the idea of breast feeding... Now my second is on it's way... within 3 weeks :) But, now I'm thinking about breast feeding... I don't even know where to begin or what I should know.. I know theres a million mom out there who are all for breast feeding.. so I'm looking for what all you moms have to say.. Advice, What I need to eat, not eat, what I need to buy, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!! Please! Thank you!

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed my daughter for about 6 months. I wanted to go for a full year, but thanks to my OBGYN I was not able to. She put me on birth-control pills and caused my milk to dry up. It is a long story and would rather not go in to details if you really want to do this. Here are a few recommendations and if you would like more information you can PM me.

1. The Art of Breastfeeding is an excellent book. Read it and keep it to use as a handy guide to just about everything related to breastfeeding.
    2. Find a La Leche League near you, but beware some of the moms can be a little "crunchy granola" on the other hand these are women who are "pros" at breastfeeding. Listen to their advice but don't be afraid to take and leave what you want. Plus, it provides you a community of women that you can hang out with.
    3. Be patient, especially at first.
    Despite some difficulties it was a great experience and really is the best thing.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Time for some reading. Start with the 101 Reasons to Breastfeed on promom.org. Move on to kellymom.com and breastfeedingmadesimple.com. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro.

Oh. And do drop by the breastfeeding moms group here on CafeMom.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Great advice especially this, "Listen to their advice but don't be afraid to take and leave what you want."

After doing everything LLL said to a T for a week with horrible results, I decided to trust my own instincts and everything was much easier. The problem with breastfeeding advice (I guess parenting advice in general) is that what works for one mom and baby, may not for another. Lots of women seem to think there's only one right way to breastfeed and insist that if you do it any other way it doesn't work. My son wouldn't latch until I gave him bottles.  Even thought my instincts were telling me he was too hungry to have energy to latch, I didn't give him a bottle because I was told absolutely not to. For him having the bottle was the best thing. Once he was getting some nutrition he became interested in latching. Plus he went back and forth from breast to bottle with no issues.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 12:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• So I would definitely read up and gets lots of advice. But ultimately, trust your instincts.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 12:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• 1. deff go find a bk u can connect w/. there r so many in that ssection at the bk store. I think the one I had was the Everthing Guide to Breastfeeding. I remember skimmimg it @ the hospital & @ home.
    2. the LLL would be a great resource for you. u'll want to have women to lean on.
    3.u'll need nursing bras(no underwire), pads. stay away from bottles & pacifiers for 6wks
    4.a fabulous website that will help u is kellymom.com
    5. nurse on demand, babies have growth spurts & when they do they will nurse more to up u're supply. know that this is normal and supply will catch up in a day or 2
    Anonymous

• You should join the breastfeeding group here on Cafemom - seek out TabiCat123, gdiamante, Danyaof3, and gruntlings - They give perfect advice and can give you the encouragement and information that you need. Dont give up and the first 6 weeks are the toughest.
    Heather881029

Answer by Heather881029 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• also visit http://www.kellymom.com/

Breastfeeding can be hard work at first expecially for first timers.   Expect some nipple soreness, just like exercising too hard, it will pass.     Also watch for latch problems.  go to http://www.drjacknewman.com/    and watch videos.  the better prepared you are the better it will be.      Remember that baby has instincts but is also learning just as you will be...so it is a journey together.   Learn different nursing positions, especially lying down!   Research slings and wraps so you can nurse hands free.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Support is key! Seek out passionate knowledgeable women as Heather suggested. Don't take advice from ob/gyns or pediatricians expecially if they have not studied it. Bad advice like telling you to measure ounces, or supplement with formula for jaundice, or giving sugar water, or encouraging pacifiers/bottles in the first six weeks, and no using breastfeeding charts for babies is all a red flag. So be aware.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my son recently was admitted to the hospital with a virus and a fever that would spike at night. the nurses told me that if he was formula instead of breastfed, he would have been twice as sick. your milk has immunities for him that nothing else can provide. my SIL recently became the same situation with her 2nd. she has been overly thankful that she decided to go to the breast. try it, it can be hard in the beginning, but there is a good supply of things to help you out. there are nipple shields, good for oversupply, fast flow, sore nipples and latching problems. i've been very happy with mine. they are medela nipple shields.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• There aren't a lot of rules about what you can't do. You can eat anything. You can drink caffeine. You can have one or two drinks and don't have to dump and pump. Of course it's best not to drink often. It's better to breastfeed if you smoke because it protects your baby from infections. Of course it's best not to smoke.

Breastfeed in the first hour after birth. Don't use any bottles or pacifiers. Breastfeed about 8 -12 times every 24 hours. During the first 6-8 weeks your breasts will grow more glands and ducts and then will become smaller and softer. That's normal. You arn't loosing your milk.

Bottles & pacifiers may ruin breastfeeding at any time. You don't need to buy a pump. Nursing bras and washable pads are nice. Boppy pillows are too hard. Other nursing pillows are better.

That's about it.

www.kellymom.com is the best breastfeeding website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010