My son is addicted to drugs!!!

And he just got out of prison! goes back to his ex-girlfriend whom is bad!!! she's the one that got him into everything!!! he's only 22yrs. wasting his life away the wrong way!!! Can anyone relate??? Dorothy

kuiethawk2shy

Asked by kuiethawk2shy at 12:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, I am sorry I can't relate, but it looks like his life has been some sort of cycle, I so sorry for you as a mother to watch this all happening. "hugs"

Answer by older at 1:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My son is 22 and he's a drug addict. He also deals drugs and is in a gang. he lives in another state and he's on probation for 10 years for a crime he was involved with in 2008. He was doing good, had a job and was following all the rules. he lived with my mom and she kept him right. But, about 5 mos. ago he left her house, hasn't seen his PO since Oct. and it's a matter of time before a warrant is isssued. He's not "just 22"....22 is a grown man. I have been dealing with his addictions for some time and I have been where you are. I have played the blame game. I cry. I get mad. No one forced your son or my son in to the lives they CHOSE. Yes, the wrong crowd can sway them but after a point, they choose. Your son could have taken another path when he got out of prison but he went back. That was choice. It's hard ona mom. I know.

(continued below)
    Anonymous

• (continued from above)

Look at your other children....where are they in their lives? I have 2 in the Army & 1 on his way to college. All are great guys. None ever broke the law, no drugs, great students, 2 started working PT the summer before their 11th grade year 7 the other started working PT as a Senior. And then there's their brother. He started using and selling drugs when he was 15 but we didn't know he was using (weed) until he was 18 and started coming around high. He didn't have to hide it any more. We just recently found out how old he was when he started selling (for our local police, no less. He also did "muscle work" for them along with other teens from this little community). He his his lifestyle choices from us but now that we look back well, the signs were there. We just weren't looking and now we are.

It's hard when our children make these choices. (((((HUGS))))) But, at 22...he's an adult now.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but there is NOTHING you can do. He is an ADULT and he will not get help until he is ready to do so. Do NOT give him any money because he will use it for drugs. You need to let him hit rock bottom and realize that he needs help. You cannot help someone who doesn't want help or even understands that he has a problem. Yes, it's hard to watch but you can't do anything, just don't enable him further.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I don't relate to this issue 100%, but I want to tell you that even though he is 22, he is an adult, and he is and will take his own choices, good or bad, the best way for you to go is PRAY. No matter what he is doing, he still your son. I have 3 sons, all are grown up adults, but when they reached their teens I did have my rough time with them, yes they smoke "marijuana", their friends were band influences for them, but that didn't stop me to look for help with counseling for them and for myself. We as mothers, don't want to see our sons/daugthers in that type of life. I do not agree with the response of tyfry7496 that there is NOTHING you can do. Yes, there are few things that you can do. First, is to keep your faith in God and pray. I did it and it did work for me, not immediately but it really did work. Second, look for a support group, and see if they can help you with him and bring him to these meetings.
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• continuation..... and finally, DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR SON!!!! His life has a value. You need to keep trying to do whatever is needed to do. If you let things continue the way the are right now, and do nothing, you are going to feel guilty. And if you do at least something, it will leave you with peace of mind. Good luck and God Bless You!!!!
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I am the sister to a 25 year old drug addict.

Please if you have other children, don't expect them to love your son like you do. While I know my mother loves her son, I can't stand him.

Also, love him (from afar) but love him nonetheless.

Anonymous