The do's and dont's of the "breastfeeding diet"

I've heard that there are foods & drinks that will help produce milk and some that will actually slow production. I know obviously stay away from fried foods, over processed crap, alcohol, etc. but what is a really good diet to stick to when breastfeeding? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If your baby is sensative to anything you'll know it. Mostly by having a cranky baby or colic like symptoms. The worst offenders seem to be milk, caffeine, citrus, and gassy foods (broccoli, beans, red meat, etc..) My daughter was only sensitive to egg whites (which we found out she is in fact allergic to) and Dairy. I was not surprised about the dairy since most of my family including myself is dairy intolerant.

The only food you should really stay away from is Sage. It's in a lot of those teas used from drying up milk. Also any medicines used for allergies or that dry up a dripping nose could also cause a drop in milk. I found that out the hard way and spent my vacation in bed nursing constantly to get it back up.

Have you been to kellymom.com yet? It's a great breastfeeding resource!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well oatmeal helps boost supply. As wlll some herbs. But really you can eat what ever you want - as long as baby seems to be able to handle it. My LO was sensitive to milk for a while but he seems to be fine with it now. I eat whatever - spicy, processed, fried, whatever - I like it all! DS eats well and all the time!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Thanks. One question - how will I know what food is bothering my baby if she happens to react to something? Will she like instantly get a tummy ache or will it show up later in her diaper? Sorry I'm new to BF'ing lol.
    Anonymous

• I pretty much eat whatever I want. I mostly just drink water and unsweet iced tea and that is regardless of whether I am pregnant, and/or breastfeeding or not. When my daughter was a week or two old I did eat something with garlic and she seemed to be really fussy and gassy afterwards, so I avoided garlic for a few weeks. By the time she was about 2 months old or so I could eat garlic again with no problems. I also limit my alcoholic beverages for after her last feeding of the night. She goes 7-9 hours now at night before the next feeding, so I can have a drink or two without worrying about her eating shortly after.
    There are things that might make you think your supply is low, but it isn't. Growth spurts for one. Secondly, somewhere around a month maybe 6 weeks old my boobs stopped feeling so full and almost are back to normal. My daughter is still getting what she needs though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• CONT. 6-8 wet diapers a day are what you're looking for. If you aren't getting that, then you need to worry about your supply. If you are, don't worry. Also, what you can pump is no indication of what the baby is getting.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• milk will cause the babys poop to be green. It should be a yellow mustard color with a seedy look.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 2:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• oatmeal stout beer. the oatmeal and hops are a great combo to boost production. stay away from sage, it dries up milk.
    Anonymous