how much do you spend on your food bill a wk for your family?

i have a family of four and i was just wondering what you mom's spend on your food bill a wk. i spend any wheres from $40-50 a wk. i am buying the cheapest things that i can get and always spliting the food in half so i can get two days out of it. i do not know if i am a very smart shopper or not. that is why i am writting to your moms to see if i could get more for my money if i would just buy certain things. my husband only brings home 1000 mo. i was working but ended up quiting to stay home because my childcare for my two children was taking my whole ck after i put gas in my truck. can not afford to get a better gas savings car becasue do not have any money left over at end of month for a car payment. we just barly make our lights,heat and phone payment. do any of you have any idea's were i can save on things to help out. i do not buy any clothes at stores by all in summer at rummage sales i drive into towne 1 time a wk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• About $50, but that includes everything else, too - detergent, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc. There was a question yesterday in this category that had a lot of suggestions in it you might want to look for.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I spend anywhere from $40-$60 per week. The cost depends on if I'm out of soaps, detergents, shampoos, etc, which I swear we run out of all at the same time. So lately what i try to do is save my coupons and buy whats on sale with my coupons ahead of time and that has helped drastically. I try to do all the shopping myself cause when DH does it, he spends too much and forgets the coupons and always forgets stuff, bless his heart he tries. (like last night he shopped for me and did this very thing and today I have to go to the store again... lol)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• about $100-$150 for 3 adults and 2 toddlers, a cat and a dog, part of it being so high is that my mom just got out of the hospital and is on a VERY restricted diet and it is a major PITA to find things she can have/will eat. And of course hubby and I and the kids don't want what she has to eat LOL
    Anonymous

• well, we have wic, which does help out a lot especially now that they've added fruit & veggie vouchers. check it out online & see if it's something you qualify for. other than that though i probably spend about $40 a week, the biggest expense is meat so i look for bigger packages and freeze what i don't use or make meatless meals.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Oh I also wanted to add, try cutting you phone service down to just the very basic stuff and you can save yourself a ton of money per month or get a VOIP thing, like MagicJack. We have one of those and it's $20 per year for phone service. No monthly phone bill that way. 

Oh and when you make a dinner, add a veg and rice or noodles to it.  It makes the dish not need as much of the meat and that way you have more meat to use on another night.  I do this when I make asian chicken or pork... with lots of ramen noodles or rice. 

mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• About $30 on food alone. We've got two adults and one toddler. We eat a lot of made from scratch things. And we cut the meat way down.
    Anonymous

• I think with a monthly income of $1000 you may qualify for some help. But back to the question- we spend $100/week for a family of 4 down from $180/week last year for the same number. This includes a teen who eats like 2 men, a dog and 2 cats. We eat all home cooked/made food. We take our lunches to school/work. My biggest savings was on cleaning and paper products. I use cloth rather than paper towels most of the time, I have a great set of bowls/lids for leftovers and freezing (not much tin foil or wraps used here). I can clean almost everything with bleach/water or a mild soap and water.
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 3:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• we get paid monthly so I dont really buy weekly, unless I know there is a sale coming up on things we need, I also coupon ALOT so I have a stockpile built up so I dont shop the way the average person does.

overall monthly i spend about $300 for a family of 5 with 7 pets (dogs and cats)

The best way to save money is learn your local stores sale patterns both the seasonal pattern and how many weeks pass between sales on items you use regularly. Also know when they mark down their meat each week, you can save up to 50% on your meat by doing this as well as dairy and refrigerated meats that can be frozen. PM if you need ideas I have been cutting corners for a long time even when i had a job and I have gotten pretty good at it, i cringe anytime i pay full price for anything nowadays lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We spend $600 a month for a family of 5. We live in a metropolitan area.
    Anonymous

• we spend close to $1000 monthly just on food alone,for a family of six! its on the high side, i don't know what to do, it makes me not to have money to buy anything. even wears, i wear rubbish . after exhausting my money on the kids wear i 'm drained financially with no savings
    Anonymous