Has anyone read/tried Dr Sears sleep method?

If so can you give me an idea of how it works? I bought the No Cry Sleep Solution a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be working for my LO. She's 7 months and is getting up every 1-2 hours at night to nurse herself back to sleep...I'm tired! :) Looking for another idea to try....thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• See, this is why I didn't nurse my kids. I enjoy my life. Breastfeeding is so tiring, ties you down and you are never alone. I bottle fed my girls, and they slept in their own beds. This way, I still had a life, and had a life with my husband and never shared a bed with the kids. Ugh, my kids are grown and they have suffered no mental issues, no health problems and no ill side effects from a bottle and sleeping in their own beds. I see so many moms who are still carrying around the placenta, so to speak... NOT FOR ME. You gave birth to the child and the cord was cut.... they are individual human beings for a reason... we are not kangaroos or monkeys...
    Anonymous

• Is that a serious response? If so we have very different ideas about this issue. I'll leave it at that.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• hah i agree with the pp i did nurse for 3 weeks but had some medical problems where i couldnt anymore and you know what im glad i stopped it was really tiring babies digest it WAY to easily formula fills them alot longer my son is 3 months old and has been sleeping through the night since he was 2 and a half months old i also give him baby food .. but yeah do whatever you feel is the best for you and yours but your probably gonna be tired for awhile sorry
    Anonymous

• How long did you try the previous method? When my boys were little, I made the mistake of jumping from one solution to the next without giving it a chance. Sleep was not our issue, behavior was! As far as sleep- what worked for me was: schedule and lots of activity. We were out and about every morning-then home for a nap. Afternoon was at home playtime, some Mommy alone time (house cleaning usually!) more play time and an evening walk before dinner, bath and then bed. My boys had cereal by 6 months and never had an issue, although I know other parents have had problems with it. Try an active routine and schedule along with whatever sleep solution you feel good about and see if that doesn't do the trick. Not to scare you- but some kiddos are just not good sleepers-don't beat yourself up if you have one!
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 2:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure what you mean by the Dr. Sears sleep method. I'm not aware there is anything called that. My three children were babies when William and Martha Sears were writting their first books and weren't famous yet. I actually met them several times and ate lunch with Dr. Bill at a state LLL conference in the early 80's. If you mean attachment parenting, that's what I did with my three sons and now my grandson is being second generation attachment parented.

Natural childbirth, co-sleeping, wearing in a sling & breastfeeding.

If you are co-sleeping usually mom & baby get on similar sleep cycles and it doesn't disturb mom's sleep when the baby nurses. If you ask the mom how many times the baby nursed at night she has no clue. It involves pheromones and is a symbiotic relationship between the mom and baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Part of being tired is psychological. Everyone tells you that you need to sleep through the night. When you accept that it's normal and healthy for children to wake at night until they are 3 then you can be less sleepy. Moms and babies throughout time and still in most of the world sleep together with the baby nursing and waking at night. What American mothers expect is abnormal.

You might want to read Rethinking Healthy Sleep and some of the things written by the cultureal anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler on when children should sleep through the night. You can find them by doing google searches. Mothering Magazine has good discussion boards and old articles, www.mothering.com

You can email me if you have questions.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010