Where

Where did the belief come from that christians cannot wear jewellery and makeup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• these are the verses i see most often, but IMO are taken out of context.
    1 Timothy 2:9-10 says women shouldn't have braided hair or wear gold/pearls. but this was the dress of whores back then, so you can see why Timothy would not want women to dress that way.
    Jeremiah 4:30 talks says "beautifying yourself in vain" & lists scarlet clothing, gold jewelry, & "painting your eyes". however, when read in context you can see that the "you" is Jerusalem & the "beautifying yourself" is talking about trying to make themselves seem less sinful.

but thats just my take on it. if someone wants to live that way they are welcome to it...just dont force me to live by it & all is good :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• from the old conservative baptists. and Mormons, they cant wear pants and no makeup, they dont wear jewelry and they dont go to the movies and some of the them wont even watch tv.
    BABYnME610

Answer by BABYnME610 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• scripture?
    Anonymous

• I have never heard that one.
    KathyH105

Answer by KathyH105 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Uh Mormons do EVERYTHING the prev. poster said they do not lol. Maybe she meant the FLDS who are the ones with many wives and all that, but your everday Mormon wears make up, and jewelry, and goes to the movies and everything. I believe it comes from scripture like I Timothy 2:9,10, II Kings 9:3, Philippians 2:15
    Anonymous

• I'm baptist. I wear pants, jewelry when the mood strikes me, and even braid up my hair with pretty do-dads on occasion. *GASP* I even watch TV, although if it is something particularly naughty I will change the channel.
    Anonymous

• But the rules that you are referring to are under the old covenant in Leviticus.
    Anonymous

• i agree with okmanders.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010