Jews

How do you keep the sabbath holy? What are the rules?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Women welcome the sabbath by lighting shabbat candles, once this is done no more work can be done. A shabbat meal takes place with Challah, and wine and a blessing is said. CHallah is dipped in salt and passed around. No work can be done on the sabbath and they cannot do something that would cause another person to work. So, (for the ORthodox) this means not turning on or off any lights, no driving, no t.v., etc. Some also attend synagog or temple, and you walk to temple (unless you are reform, in which case you are allowed to drive).
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I just want to add something. You are not allowed to drive to synagogue. It's just that the reform Jews do not hold by the laws of the Torah so they do drive. But any Jew regardless of your affiliation is not allowed to break the laws of the Torah.
    Anonymous

• http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/aid/253215/jewish/Shabbat.htm

Anonymous

• thank you now are you allowed to read secualr books on the sabbath or have a secular conversation?
    Anonymous

• "thank you now are you allowed to read secualr books on the sabbath or have a secular conversation? "

The entire day isn't all about discussing religion, it is about LIVING it. When you are living a true Torah life, everything you do has to do with Judaism because you do everything because of your religious beliefs - do you see what I mean here? Judaism isn't just a religion, it is a lifestyle, with everything you think, say or do influenced by & intertwined with your religious beliefs because what you believe guides your life. Basically, if you are the type to celebrate the Sabbath & follow the commandments, there really is not distinction between "secular" and "religious" in your home life, only the life you practice outside of your home & the Jewish community to which you belong.

I'm not sure if I'm making good sense here for you or not, but if I'm not, let me know and I will try to clarify for you, okay?
    Anonymous

• Well if I can assume here Jews might play non religiouse board games and watch a secualr movie . I was wondering if that wasa sin to do on the sabbath,
    Anonymous

• Out of curiosity--what day DO Jews celebrate as the holy day? I've always wondered because god never specifies what day the sabbath IS--Monday? Friday? Saturday? Sunday?
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Anon:50 - It depends on how "religious" a family is as to what they will do. For example, the UltraOrthodox would not be playing secular boardgames and none that I know personally even own a TV, let alone watch movies. Reform Jews often treat the Sabbath like any other day with the exception of attending shul (synagogue or, as they call it, Temple) Friday night and possibly Saturday morning (although not usually Saturday morning, depends on the Temple). The children will attend Hebrew school, usually also on Saturday mornings. The Orthodox & Conservative tend to be somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure about the other denominations.

Anonymous

• witchqueen - The Sabbath is from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night. The actual day of the Sabbath is Saturday. It begins the night before because back in the days when you couldn't be sure what time or day it was, starting the evening before was playing it safe. It is the same for all Jewish holidays, too.

It is my understanding that, technically, Saturday should be the day of rest for Christians, too, but it became Sunday partly so that early Christians could distance themselves from the Jews of the time and also because Sunday is supposed to be the day of resurrection for Jesus. As the two religions became further separated from one another in time, it was natural for it to evolve that Christians worshipped on Sunday and not Saturday. Not sure how true all that is, but it is what I've been told.
    Anonymous