breasts after baby

ok so this is an odd question but it's an issue for me lately. I stopped breastfeeding my baby early because she had collic and I felt she wasnt getting enough milk..I realize now I probably should have tried harder but I really had a hard time with it and she cried constantly. My milk took forever to come in. Its been 9 months, she's over the collic and doing great but I've notice one of my breasts is 2 cup size smaller than the other..has this happend to anyone? When I walk I can feel the difference its not right. One of my breasts became engorged while feeding so I'm wondering if thats why. Is this normal?! Idk what to do I'm starting to feel way insecure about this maybe thats what I get for stopping...

AlexxasMama

Asked by AlexxasMama at 3:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definiteyl talk to LLL and also visit http://www.kellymom.com/

That said there is NO NEED to punish yourself.  Your change in breast size is not punishment.    I know that you have regrets.   So when you have another baby consult with a lactation consultant and join LLL!   What you needed was help and that would have made all the difference.   I can tell you that your milk was likely just fine.  A lot of times a fussy baby and vigorous need to suck can make a new mother think her milk  hasn't come in.   that's not true.  In the beginning babies suck voraciously and also during growth spurts.  They need to be on the nipple even if they are satiated because it is their suck that stimulates production.  What is important to look at next time to ease those fears is to look at output...wet diapers.  What goes in must come out!    

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'd check with my doctor. There may be something simple a doctor can do or give you to remedy that.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• im not sure thats intirely normal... your supposed to breast feed switching between the two breasts so this doesnt happen.. i would definalty ask your doctor
    Anonymous

• http://www.llli.org/resources.html Try this site and see if someone at the Le Leche League can help. They are the experts.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Everyone has a hard time at first. Even people who find breastfeeding "easy" also had hard patches. What makes ALL the difference is support.

Anyway visit kellymom.com   The difference in cup size may be dure to one breast having more developed milk ducts than the other.  You should be able to find more info on it.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Breastfeeding for a short time almost certainly would not cause this. Even women who breastfeed a baby for years on one breast for one reason or another or the baby has a strong breast preference usually pretty much even out after weaning.

Of course all women have breasts that are a little different in size. But 2 cup sizes does sound like a lot. I encourage you to go to the doctor and get it checked out. Young women can and do get breast cancer and if it's something that you think is not right you should get checked ASAP.

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer but mothers who have breastfed can still get breast cancer. "I'm starting to feel way insecure about this maybe thats what I get for stopping..." Not breastfeeding has life-long health consequences but there is nothing you can do about that now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010