How do I help my Aunt?

My aunt is 54 years old, she has never been married and has lived in the same house for 54 years. My grandmother died about three years ago and now the house belongs to my aunt. Problem is the house is falling apart and she doesn't have the money to fix it. Neither does anyone else in the family. I am not talking about little things either. We are talking about major structural issues. The foundation is compromised, because the house was built into a side of a hill and the hill is creeping down. She needs a new roof too. If there are any supports left (my cousin has told me there are termites and my aunt refuses to believe that.) We (the whole family) wants her to sell and move. But she can't afford to rent anything with what she is making nor can she afford a loan to improve it. She owns the house outright. We've thought about calling the inspector and having it condemned but that seems drastic.

Lesli

Asked by Lesli at 3:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Both of her older brothers are three hours away and we all want her to move out here. Where we could help her. She won't. If she sold the house (not worth a lot, but the land is) and the property she could have a nice nest egg of savings (around 20-40,000) and could find a better job. She has worked for 7 years at a local dept. store and is still making less than 8 dollars an hour and getting less than 40 hours a week. She also works as a civilian contractor for the post office on Saturdays (so the postmaster can have a day off). She can only really afford to pay for her gas, groceries, and utilites. She won't listen to anyone. We all understand how hard it would be and no one really wants to lose the house. My grandpa built that house. But she's got mice and last spring found a baby snake in her hallway.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• What's she looking for? is it not a roof over her head?she should sell what she has to get what she needs! what does she want? to move in with you? no way ! she should count herself lucky to have such a goldmine to fall back on! persuade her to sale!
    joysweet

Answer by joysweet at 4:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Joysweet, thank you for the reply, but you misunderstood my question. My aunt doesn't want anything really. She doesn't call and complain about the house, expecting us to take care of it.

I am trying to figure out a way to convince her to move without doing anything drastic. She can't take care of what needs to be done around there. She actually had someone come up to the house, thinking the place was abandoned. She insists the problems aren't as big as we make them sound.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Sometimes for safety sake we must do things that seem drastic. If the house is a hazard then she must be protected. The house has sentimental value to her so she won't want to give it up but it would certainly be in her best interest to seek some options for you. Why not talk to a real estate agent about the value of the land. They might know how she can best invest the money. The market is so bad now that she might get a great deal on a foreclosed house and pay cash from the sale of the land. I'd try that and let the real estate agent call the inspector if necessary. That keeps you from being the bad guy

Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• most towns/citys have elder support places you can call like cps but for seniors and they will go and inspect the living conditions and if there not healthy they will force her to make some changes and then it wont be family doing it....sorry but some times it comes to that happen.....know my parents did it to my uncle but no one would confess and my uncle was sure it was the mail carrier lolool so you might try it that way good luck.......
    Anonymous