I can't get my son to sleep alone

We started him off in our bed, it was easier on me because i'm breastfeeding and it was just convenient. He's 5 months old now and my Fiancee and i are trying to get him to sleep in his own little bed right beside us. But so far, no good. Any advice on how to maybe make this transition without it being hard on all of us?

LogansMama09

Asked by LogansMama09 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the bed is too vast, it is very very scary and cold. You can try to swaddle him or buy a sleep nest if he can fit in them safely. Also change the sheets to ones that are warmer like organic cotton or flannel. Regular crib sheets are frightfully cold.
    You can also either start him off in your bed and move him, or lay him in his bed if he falls asleep in your arms. But you MUST make sure he is in deep sleep...look for limp limbs and a heavy head...if he is in light sleep he will wake up.

Also if you go to bed much later than he does he is more likely to wake to look for you (he's designed to) so if you have way different bed times, he can be put to sleep in whatever room you happen to be in. This will also encourage him that it is okay to sleep in proximity and he is safe.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My husaband and I sleep with the baby. I don't plan on changing that. But she is also used to sleeping not only in arms but also in her chair, in a sling, on a couch, carseat...pretty much anywhere. I do have to be sure when I put her down she is in deep sleep. If you watch them closely, you can see moments where they will open their eyes..check out the area...and then close the to sleep again if they are not hungry, not wet, and have made sure someone is around.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Good luck... my 6 year old son still sneaks into my bed at night while I am sleeping lol... maybe put him to bed before you go to sleep with some soft music and a stuffed animal to see if that helps. Also, if he starts crying, comfort him and sing him a song or something to help him sleep but try not to give in.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can try to wait until the baby is in deep sleep before trying to put him into the bed. Dr. William Sears writes about this in some of his books. You may be able to find some info online on his website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i'm quite familiar with Dr. Sears, i have Logan on his alternate vaccination schedule, so i'll check that out for sure, thanks all :]
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Do you want him out of your bed or do you feel like you "should" get him in his own bed? It is fine to continue to sleep with him. I sleep with my breastfeeding 6 month old, as I did with both my other babies until they were a year old. I find if I can get her to sleep for her first stretch of sleep in the crib next to the bed, then I'm fine with her in the bed with us for the rest of the night. I nurse her to sleep and wait 10-15 minutes (sometimes even longer) until she is really sound asleep before putting her down. I use that time holding her to read or watch tv.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2010