How do you know your done having children ?

How did you and your husband know when you were done having children.....did you decide on a set number or you just felt you were done.

hammondx9

Asked by hammondx9 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• When we had my daughter our family just felt complete, before her we really felt like something was missing, we had two boys and wanted a girl. Once I had her I never got that feeling like i did after the boys of wanting another baby and DH felt the same way. We just knew I dont know how to describe it.

Other than that financially we knew we had all we could handle if we wanted to provide extras and I had the rule that i would not have babies after 30, I spent my 20's pregnant, nursing or chasing toddlers and i wanted to settle into life and focus on raising the kids once i hit my 30's.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• When I met my Hubby, we decided that the 3 I already had were enough for us. He had a vasectomy 2 yrs ago and I had the novasure procedure because we both agreed that we were blessed with the 3 we have. I'm 37 now and feel that we are living a great life raising our boys and enjoying their independence. It's so much fun taking them out on our jet ski's, wheeling in our jeep, or just playing ball in the yard.. I'm so glad the baby days are over..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have 3, I'm done. Even if I wanted another, it'd be socially, environmentally, and financially irresponsible.
    Anonymous

• Well none of ours were planned and 4 children later we're a happy family of 6. We are excited about all of our children and if another one should come along we'll welcome it and if not, it's no big deal.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 4:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I just knew I was done. I felt complete after my third child was born. After my second I felt like someone was still 'missing' and after my sons birth, I just knew.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My m/c decided for me. I have 3 living children. I had 2 dd...then 2 m/c...then my son.....then another m/c. I kinda almost lost it after the 3rd one and we decided that we didnt want to go through that again. My Dh got a vasectomy. I think there are many reasons people make this decision. Some are financial, some are due to advanced planning, and some are emotional. I dont think ther is a cut and dry answer to this one.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We planned on having two, and we did. My husband had a vasectomy the day after our second child was born. My last pregnancy was especially horrible, making me even more relieved that I was done. I'm glad to have the pregnancy and baby stages behind me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We planned on having two, but now that we have two we just do not feel like we are done. We really want a boy, but I think if we ended up having a 3rd girl we would stop trying to conceive and would adopt a boy as our 4th. Four would be my max!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had 2 children and thought that it was enough for me. But since no one wanted to perform a tubal on someone under 21 I was given BCP...which worked for about 2 years then I got pregnant again with my third son. We are stretched pretty thin as it is, so we knew that we'd be very unwise to have anymore. I'm completely satisfied with my children and know we can't handle another. Dh and I are both sterilized.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I knew before I even had a child, that I only wanted one. And that was IF I decided to have children  at all.

EnigmaMuse

Answer by EnigmaMuse at 6:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010