To have a Baby Shower??

I am 32 weeks preg. with my second baby. First was a boy, this one is a girl. We have donated most of the items used by our first to homeless sehlters in and out of the area. At first I was planning on having a "welcome baby party" a few weeks after baby comes (we live about 3 hours away from any family- so the party is going to be down by them regardless of when it is). As I am getting further and further into my pregnancy, I am wanting a baby shower more and more- not to get a bunch of stuff, but just as a reason to see everyone and mark the occasion of our second child. My sister offered to throw me a party a few months ago and I said NO WAY. Would it be lame for me to try to have another one- or should I wait for a welcome baby party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I always thought the first baby got a baby shower and the rest (2,3,4,5,6 babies) did not. You should still have the basic stuff still.Crib, basineet, High chair, bottles, Stuff like that. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I would wait for the welcome baby shower. I had that with my second baby...I thought it was better then the regular one because everyone got to see the baby and it took the attention away from me.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• A welcome baby party would not be a good idea because it is flu and rsv season. You don't want to expose your baby to other people for at least 6-8 weeks. After that you still don't want to expose the baby to groups of people if you aren't breastfeeding. Breastfeeding offers protection from flu, rsv, pneumonia, and menningitis. These are the diseases you have to worry the most about with young babies. If breastfed babies do get these diseases they are usually milder and they have lower rates of hospitalization.

You could have a casserole party. People can bring you a frozen dinner. That's what we do for moms who have had a baby. Some women will also give a homemade baby gift or a gift for the mom.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Do what you want to do. Have both parties, if you want.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I like the idea of the welcome baby party. Some would think that a baby shower for the 2nd isn't necessary. But of course you should do whatever you want to. If you want a shower then go for it - although I would tell people not to bring gifts - JMO.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I would have the second shower. My mom had one for me and one for my sister too, we were 5 yrs apart.

I had one for my son and one for my dd, 5, almost 6 yrs apart. My MIL didn't send me not one gift because she didn't think I should have a shower. But, we went through a lot to get that baby and it was a different sex and I was going to celebrate with my friends at least (family was too far away but they mailed gifts)! If your sister offered, go for it! I probably wouldn't have asked anyone to throw a shower but someone offered so I said sure :)

Congrats.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 4:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my family thinks that a shower for just the first child is like a preference. i think that every child is a miracle, and also unique.
    if you want a baby shower go ahead, if you want a welcome party do that. its really whatever you feel a want for. i mean come on, your bringing a life into the world. GOOD LUCK!!!
    maxxsmommy13

Answer by maxxsmommy13 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010