how to get my 19 month old to stop hitting his sister

my son loves to hit his sis when im not looking what am i to do with him, i put him in a time out chair, and he will sit and do his time, but it doest phase him, soon as he gets bak up he will hit her again if she does something he doesnt like lol!

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with a little of everything above. I am not against a time-out. However if it is over done it does become in effective. Also, I think they say time-out should be no longer then 1 minute for each year of life ( so a 2-minute time out for a two-year old) But I also am a strong advocate of positive reinforcement. Maybe make some kind of behavior chart where they each get stars or stickers for "nice playing" . It's also very hard, but try to decrease the amount of "No" and "Don't do that..". Kids like to do exactly what they are told not to and sometimes they just might not know how else to interact. He probably just thinks its funny. Instead of saying "no" say "hands to yourself". Also model what "nice playing" is. Maybe find some activities that they do play nicely together with and keep those out of reach. Pull them out for times when you cannot attend to them.

That's all I could think of, hope that's helpful
    nangelsmom1031

Answer by nangelsmom1031 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Punishment does not teach good behavior. Time-out is punishment. At best, punishment will stop bad behavior. What usually happens is the child becomes more sneaky (does it when you aren't looking), the behavior gets worse, and the child resents the parent.

You need to learn parenting skills. Most parents only know yell, count, time-out, take away, hit, or various forms of these. These are all punishment. Psychologists have known for years punishment doesn't work and are a part of an ineffective style of parenting called authoritarian. Authoritative parenting is the most effective form of parenting. You can go to google and do a search and read more about parenting theory.

Love & Limits is a good discipline book for young children written by Elizibeth Crary. She also has a website called Star Parenting. This would be a good place to start.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• the lady above has to be nutty....u punish for bad behaviors and reward for good ones!!! thats how they learn. i would luv to see how she handles hers and how they will come out!
    Anonymous

• we just put our son in a time out chair where he had to sit but he was still in the room so he got to see all the fun he was missing.. now he only does it when he is very upset but he wont hit us..
    iluvyoucharlie

Answer by iluvyoucharlie at 5:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2010