BAnkruptcy for medical bills?? Please help!

I was wondering if anyone on here has filed bankruptcy for medical bills. I have quite a bit of medical bill debt and can't keep up with the payments. Seems like everyone of the bill collectors want $$ at the same time and some have even sent me to collections. My family said that I should just file bankruptcy (this is something I thought I would NEVER do) but now I am considering it. Has anyone ever had to and what was the process and outcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well you can, but you can also pay just a set amount of the bill every month (like 5 or 10 dollars) and pay it regularly. They aren't allowed to turn it down. At least that's what my bankruptcy attorney told me when we were looking into it.
    Anonymous

• My former state could stop Medicaid for adults every 4 years. It deciced to do so for me and I had a hospitalization. I went through appeals and couldn't get Medicaid back and had tens of thousands in medical bills.

I moved to another state where all disabled people on SSI get Medicaid and got Medicaid in 2 days. I when I got medical bills from the collection agencies I wrote that I left the state so I could get Medicaid, my only income was SSI, I left the state with only 2 suitcases, I owned nothing, and I couldn't pay. It's been over 2 years and none of the collection agencies haven't done anything. They didn't even do anything that hurt my credit rating.

Your situation probably isn't as bad as mine.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I guess I should of gone into more detail. I am 23 years old and about 6 months ago badly broke a finger, yeah that right a finger lol. well when they did the x-rays they found I had a tumor on my bone that had caused it to brake. After a month in a splint and absolutly no healing of the finger I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon to have the growth taken out and have a plate and screw put it. It was something I had to do since it wouldnt heal on its own and I ended up having over $20k in bills. I would take me forever to pay this off and feel lost knowing bankruptcy is probably the fastest way to deal with it. =( how long after filing bankruptcy can you start to build your credit back up?
    Anonymous

• When I bought my house I was WAY behind on medical bills. The mortgage company said they don't count medical bills on credit reports. I got the house and the medical folks wrote off the debts. After 7 yrs it's off your credit report anyway.
    Anonymous

• you can literally pay any amount on medical bills and they cant turn them into collections!!
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010