Aspartame? What are your thoughts?

I'm sure there are some pretty heated opinions about this subject, but I need to hear some of them: do you use products with aspartame? Do you believe the claims that it's linked to Alzheimer's, fibromyalgia, etc?

I used to drink Diet Coke regularly (about 2 cans per day) but quit aspartame as my New Year's resolution due to the fact that both Alzheimer's and fibromyalgia run in my family. 9 days into it, I kind of feel like it was a hasty decision to say "no aspatame whatsoever" - I mean, I'm realizing that it's in gum and everything!

That's why I'd like to hear opinions! Please share.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Health

• I'm at an increased risk of lymphoma because I have a genetic immune deficiency disease of the lymph system. Aspartame use has been associated with lymphoma so I avoid it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I don't know about the alzhimers and fibromyalgia studies, but I learned in my psychology class that the studies done linking aspartame to cancer were daily feeling mice twice their body weight in the stuff.

...I think that anyone would get cancer from daily eating twice their body weight in anything.

I'm just saying that looking at how studies are performed can help you make an informed decision.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i try to avoid it. i buy gum without aspartame. i never have sworn it off, just limit my intake. if i drink soda, i drink regular, but i don't drink much of it either since i know all that sugar isn't good either :)
    Anonymous

• I've been drinking diet sodas since I was 15 years old, and now I'm quitting. I always just figured I didn't need the calories from my drinks, I get enough from my foods, but artificial sweeteners are sweeter even than regular sugar; and the sweet taste raises the insulin levels in our blood, causing us to store fat like crazy. This is according to the Dr. who wrote "You Can Do This Diet," I forgot his name. So I'm giving up sodas and sweeteners altogether now.

I've heard that it could cause those other diseases as well, and I've never given diet sodas to my kids. I think there are just so many artificial "foods" that we eat every day that the world would have been better off without.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• we don't eat aspartame. we try to avoid a lot of man made chemicals. I also have weak enamel...so i don't chew sugar gum or sugarless! I miss the gum.
    i think you made a great choice for a resolution!
    Good Luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I worked with a lady that worked at an aspertame factory. What she told me was shocking and I won't touch the stuff!

one of the raw materials was treated as a bio-hazard, suits with respirators and all while handling it! The reason was because at 96 degrees, it turned into basically formaldehyde! Now think about your natural body temperature of 98.6! This means that when you ingest it, you are ingesting formaldehyde essentially!
    Anonymous

• I do not buy anything with artifical sweetners in it. Aspartame and others can aggravate diseases such as MS, fibromylogia and others. It causes brain cancer! They are worse for you than regular sugar. I do not recommend anything with artifical sweetners and neither does my doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It is a terrifying substance. Stevia is a safe, zero calorie sweetener

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I do not do aspartame AT ALL.
    Excellent article on it: http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I won't touch it. It's funny how it is demonized but high fructose corn syrup gets a free pass.
    Anonymous