You wanted a reason?

Well here it is!
Now the Census Bureau says it is embedding a test in the 2010 Census that "will measure the effect of removing the term 'Negro' on reports about a person’s racial identity." The test will be used to inform changes to the 2020 Census and other future surveys.

In a press release Friday, the Census Bureau noted that "In the 2000 Census, more than 50,000 persons chose to write down explicitly that they identified themselves as 'Negro.'" That did not include the people who checked the box "Black, African Am., or Negro."

The bureau has said it had decided to include "Negro" as an option because a number of older African-Americans self-identify as such, and it wanted to make sure they were counted.

Now will you wah wahers STFU?
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/08/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6072544.shtml

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Call me stupid, but I did not know that Negro was a bad word. I know that there are other terms than many prefer and that is fine. I thought it was more like White or Caucasian- personal preference. Am I the only one living under a rock?
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 5:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Oh honey...I like you and agree with you alot. But there are some REALLY bored people on here and I bet this gets deleted. They deleted me for asking if an Anon could read! Said it was a personal attack. LOL as for the reason....makes sense to me. I think people are way too touchy about this anyway. But as white female I am sure my opinion on that doesnt count!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• clapping

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• What % is 50,000 of the black population in America?

Are the other MILLIONS of Blacks not entitled to be offended?

Anonymous

• Anon, 6:03,

I agree (with an ANON!! get out) All these women on here are screaming about black people being offneded..If they added the word HONKEY on there they would be plenty PISSED.

There is not 1 BLACK person in America that would look at a form without Negro on it and say well I dont know what to put because it sont say Negro....

Its IGNORANT and INSULTING...Harry Reid just apologized for an IGNORANT NEGRO comment he made LAST YEAR about President Obama......its VERY OFFENSIVE and EVENRONE KNOWS IT

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Are the other MILLIONS of Blacks not entitled to be offended?
    ________
    Then why were they not crying in 2000? 1990? 1980? 1970? 1960? Because its not something new Negro has been on that darn form for SIXTY YEARS!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• 2001 OMG the form says Negro on it! Where was the outrage then? http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• He apologized for basically saying that Obama doesnt act like normal black people. Insinuating that there was something wrong with normal black people. It had nothing to do, or very little to do with, the negro word sweet. And if the word is so INSULTING (i.e. honky) someone needs to let the untied negro fund people know!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• LOL...UNITED negro fund
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• racism is a bitch isn't it?
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 6:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2010