How can I teach her to drink from a sippy/bottle while sitting up??

It is so embarrassing to have to put this in the toddler section, but my daughter just turned 1.

My first DD was off her bottle and onto a sippy cup the day she turned a year, and she hasn't looked back. I tried the same thing with my second DD, but I encountered a major problem - because I was always so busy running after DD#1, DD#2 got used to drinking her bottles laying down. (I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why this will somehow kill or scar my child and I'm a terrible mother, but I don't need to hear those comments). Now no matter what we try, DD#2 cannot get the concept that when she is sitting up, she has to tip the bottle up.

We've gone through hours of DD#2 screaming because she's hungry but can't figure out how to drink from her bottle or sippy cup unless I lay her on her back. Omg! It's embarrassing and it's all my fault! :-/We've been struggling with this transition for a month.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think if your consistent with not doing it for her that eventually shell catch on and tilt it. Maybe thats just her way to get you to give it to her? She wont starve though, hang in! Good Luck!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Sit her in the high chair and let her play a lot with the sippie cup.
    She will eventually get it, really she will.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You're not terrible or a bad mom for this, nor should you be embarressed, some kids catch on and some don't right away. The same with me though, my youngest one eats a lot laying down because I have a three year old to run after. My oldest was the same, the day he turned a year he took a sippie cup with no problem. My young one is only 8 months but I went ahead and intoduced the sippie cup and he is not getting that he has to tip it either. So I wait till he puts it into his mouth, like while he is in his high chair, then I try and tip it for him so he can see that something will come out of it that way. It takes some time but she will soon catch on, patience is key. = )
    sarabur420

Answer by sarabur420 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2010