• In the Spotlight:

How did you communicate with your DH/SO while they were over seas?

DH is going to be in Iraq for a year. He is a contractor, and will have access to computers and phones. He'll have to get a phone card, etc to call. I have Skype downloaded on my computer. DH doesn't have a computer, but plans on buying one once he is settled in Iraq. That is how we think we'll talk the most. We've already been told that cell phones would be a bad idea, and end up costing quite a bit of money. I'm mainly wondering what the best way to talk until he gets a computer. Thanks!

Katlyne120806

Asked by Katlyne120806 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Dh goes everywhere, most of his work is overseas. He is looking into getting a cell with prepaid cards but hasn't yet. We did skype but I didn't care for it. We just email and use our webcams with AIM. Dh and I were separated about a year when he was in the navy so I can relate, now he only goes on short trips, up to 6 or 8 weeks at most. Good luck!!!
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 7:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We use the internet mostly. Mine did have a cell that he bought overseas, so the rates were different. It was a pre-paid deal and they were all required to carry them. He also had a land line installed in his room but rarely used it because the internet was much more convient.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 6:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Cool. We tried to look at Asia Cell, which sells phone/plans but the website wasn't that helpful. He may check that out when he is there in person to look at it.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yeah it was one of those things my husband had to just do over there and in Korea. It wasn't to expensive, I want to say $80 for the phone with minutes.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 6:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We talk everyday except his day off. He does his laundry then, and sleeps more. We do email, and text. It does cost a lot, but having the piece of mind that he's ok is worth it to me. He bought a phone over there (Afghanistan), and needs it for work. He gets a phone card each payday, I'm not sure how much he spends. We used skype, until I got sick of it dropping, which was EVERY time. Plus, he paid for the 'faster' internet, like $70. Come to find out, it wasn't any faster, and those that had it for more then a month were supposed to be refunded.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my husband took his laptop. Luckily he worked the night shift there and it was the same time I was off at home. So we were pretty lucky and got to webcam each other two/three times a week.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010