Grandson being bullied by teacher in 2nd grade

My GS went from being a child that teachers said was so smart he would probably be eligible to skip grades, to being a child who does never finishes school work & hates school. He has developed a terrible stuttering problem and has reverted back to carrying his pooh-bear to bed.. He says his teacher makes him nervous, & we have suspected issues never anything concrete. At one meeting the teacher sarcastically stated to my daughter ,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has your daughter gone to the principal yet? I would have a long time ago! I also would be documenting everything and take care of it. If you find you cant get help when you talk to the principal thats when you walk into the district office and start asking for the super. and let him know he can handle this or you can go before the school board.

Sorry I am not the type of mom who would have let it go this far, as soon as a problem came up i would have been in that school dealing with it.

Your daughter needs to make time to get up there and get this handled right away, she needs to write down everything, also have her take her son with her and make sure he knows to tell them everything that has been going on.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Call a meeting with the teacher and the principal. That should not be tolerated at all.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• do something about it otherwise GS will start to hate school.
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 6:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The principal is who you should go to first. Then if he/she won't listen then go to the superintendent. If no one will fix it, then I would take it to the media.
    Does your GS's class have any regular parent volunteers? Because that would be a good person to have for a witness if they ahve seen anything.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• exactly what Nathskitten said is the perfect action to take, that is ridiculous the teacher is doing this to your GS.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My son went through something like this we made the mistake of not doing something soon enough. If I could do it again I would have him removed from her class ASAP. I honestly think thats what you should do. And you have the right to do this if you think its affecting your child. They can not say no..I wish I had gone as far as having my sons teacher fired but I didn't do it. It still upsets me and it will effect them for the rest of their lives. And what if she/he is doing this to other students also..I would stand up and do something about it. He is too little to take these actions on by himself we have to speak for our children. Good luck!

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Contact the principal, and if your gs has a guidance counselor get them involved. Use past report cards and teacher comments to show how his performance has changed. Also, make sure your gs is ready to discuss his teacher's treatment of him. This is horrible, I hope you get it resolved quickly!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Also by law..You can miss 8 days of school..So if he can afford to miss any more days I would keep him out and go right to the school and demand another teacher. They should be abel to get him in another classroom within those 8 days. Don't let the teacher get away this!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Thank you all for your sound advice. It gives me a starting point on how to deal with this and how to counsel my daughter. My GS has a choice of two schools he can attend--he is zoned for both. My daughter said she is going Monday to the principal about allowing him to transfer. I think a clean start & counseling will help my grandson get over the trust issues he now has. My daughter is getting all her information together as I am writing this. She has been thinking she might be over-reacting, but thanks to all of you I have convinced her she is not!! I have been trying to tell her that if a child fails to learn it isn't because he is a BAD learner, it is because the teacher is a BAD teacher. His teacher has always said he is not a disciplinary problem, but just won't stay focused. If you are afraid of your teacher I can imagine that would be very distracting. However, my wholehearted thanks to all again! I'll keep you posted
    Anonymous