Which comes first dialation or efacement?

I am currently 34wks and 4days, Monday I was told I was dialated 3cm and 70% effaced... I had to go in again because of contractions yesterday and they said I was 4cm and 80% effaced, with the bag of water coming out of my cervix (she said she can feel the babys head). I kept hearing that you efface first then dialate. Is this true or is it just my body saying that I am having this baby very soon?

tcleveland03

Asked by tcleveland03 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You do both at the same time. Honey, you are having a baby soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• and they sent you HOME??
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• generally with a first baby, you will start to efface before you ever start to dilate, but then they happen together. with your second you can start to dilate before you start to efface.

i probably wouldn't want them prodding up there, because they could rupture your membranes, which would obviously make your baby come sooner.

good luck keeping that baby in there for at least a couple more weeks!
    Anonymous