How do YOU make homemade baby food?

I was wondering how you have made homemade baby food??

Also, is it really that much better than buying it at the store? Cause I looked at the ingredients and it just said squash and water or peas and water... etc.

Thanks!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just used my magic bullet and pureed veggies and fruits in them. Fresh or from a can.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• blender and then froze them into icecube trays to use as needed.no wasted food.Its not that its better per se,but a helluva lot cheaper.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Is it cheaper? I heard that it's cheaper than buying it.
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• from what I understand the early stages baby foods are as good as homeade - like you said, just pureed fruit, but as the stages get higher they add more and more ingredients and that's when it starts to get less healthy....I attempted to make my baby food (stage 1 & 2) but ended up buying it to save time. Earth's Best is organic and appears to be as healthy as you can get for store bought. Each jar costs about $1 so it's definitely cheaper to make it... good luck!
    Oh - to make it I just cooked the veggies and then but them into tiny pieces, put them in the blender and added water until they were as thick as soup....same with fruit.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I just mash with a fork soft foods like cooked sweet potato, ripe banana or avocado, pasta etc. You don't need to buy baby applesauce, just buy regular smooth unsweetened applesauce.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yes it's cheaper. Look at it this way.
    Bananas are .45 cents a POUND. How much does a jar of baby food bananas cost? How many ounces is that jar?
    Anonymous

• Its a lot better to make your own. its about 5x as expensive to buy the baby food in containers. waste of money, IMO.

I would use canned (but you can use fresh, too) vegetables and fruit. make sure that it's no salt added, and the fruit is in water, not syrup. Use a blender and add alittle bit of water at a time to get it to the right consistency. Then, pour it into ice cube trays. Let it freeze that way, then pop out the servings into a freezer bag, label and date it, and there you go! each cube is aprx. one ounce!! then just microwave in a bowl for about 10 - 15 seconds and serve. (stir first though and test the temp. obviously. lol)
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Alot of the foods are cheaper. I buy frozen peas and green beans and puree them. Canned pumkin I just thin. Unsweetened applesauce I use straight from the jar. The only thing I fould cheaper to buy in baby food form was peaches. Fresh can be pricy when they are not in season. Those toddler meals that you buy are insanely expensive and full of sodium. . My little one can't have gluten so I just cooked up a bag of rice pasta, make a homeade cheese sauce for it, have it a quick pulse in the food processor, then packaged it up the smallest 4oz sized gladware containers and tossed it in the freezer. Tomorrow I will bake some chicken a potatoes and do the same.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It's way cheaper and tastes 100 times better if you make it yourself. I liked to use frozen veges and fruit for most of what I made because fresh was sometimes hard to find.
    From fresh foods I made sweet potatoes and apples a lot... and also some fruits.
    I had back luck with the skins on peas... so bought jarred of those and also some of the other things for older babies I bought jarred.
    I made my own meat too... the jarred kind.. I promise smells just like cat foot... probably tastes the same too!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Take a banana. With a fork smash about 2 tablespoons. Put in front of baby. Let baby feed self.

Take sweet potato and wash. Stick holes in with knife. Cook in microwave (time depends on size). Scoop out about 2 tablespoons. Smash with fork. Put in front of baby. Let baby feed self.

Take apple and peel skin off. Grate about 2 tablespoons raw apple. Put in front of baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010