Good candidates?

We have been going around and around about McCain/Obama here on CM. I am thinking maybe third party next election. Many of you are more political than I am. Any ideas of people to start looking at now to get some background so I can make a "better" choice next time?

justmyopinion

Asked by justmyopinion at 6:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you vote thrid party next time you will be basically voting for Obama.

Ya know Carpy, I've seen numerous of your posts now. I don't know if its because your jaded or you think you know everything, but you have a serious attitude, you are condescending, and you like to assume that you know what others think or feel.

If someone chooses to vote third party in the next election that is a personal decision that is theirs and is for their own personal reasons. They are voting third party, NOT for Obama, and they are trying to do a whole lot more to fix this nations broken two party system than most.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Obama!
    Anonymous

• Well 2008 election I voted for Chuck Baldwin and Darrel Castle. I really wanted Ron Paul but he wasn't given as much coverage as McCain.

"during the 2000 campaign of Republican George W. Bush for U.S. President, Baldwin vacated the party and began a long period of criticism of Bush. Baldwin endorsed U.S. Representative Ron Paul for the 2008 Republican nomination for president, and Paul in turn endorsed Baldwin for the presidency in the 2008 general election."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Baldwin
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• wish ron paul wasn't so old! lol
    Anonymous

• Bob Barr almost got my vote in the last election. Third party candidates get screwed in this country. Until you get enough popular vote you don't qualify for campaign funding from the gov't. I highly doubt I'll see a third party candidate get that many votes in my lifetime.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Agreed MommyLisa, but we need to start some place right? I think you may be surprised. I am a middle of the road Republican teacher and I have to say, the general feeling around school is- something different next time. This comes from Republicans and Democrats alike. We do not have the media behind us and that will be a big hurdle!
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 6:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can thank the Dems and Pubs who negotiated on behalf of John Kerry and GW 6 years ago - there will never be a viable 3rd party candidate for president. They rewrote the conditions for televised debates, to the point that the League of Women Voters became so disgusted they refuse to participate (it used to be their job to organize them). Under the rules, the 2 major party candidates now have so much control over the content, they will ALWAYS be able to exclude the 3rd party from the debate completely, or tailor the questions to marginalize them and make them into a joke. Even if they do allow the 3rd party into the debate, that candidate's camp has zero say on content, while the other two have complete control over everything from lighting, types if microphones, to the full content of every question.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We're not going to have to endure Ross Perot again are we? Our system just doesn't support 3 parties. Right or wrong, that is just the way it is. A third party always splits the vote and the 3rd party candidate never wins. Just become involved enough to make valuable changes in one of the parties that are here now. Politics may make strange bed fellows, but .......I'll just stop with that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I don't know if he's considering a run for 2012 yet or not...but I like Louisiana Governor Bobby JIndal

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The system is rigged- it's about $$$ and control. Plus the system must be renovated from the bottom up. How much headway would be made with a 3rd party Pres and a major party Congress? We need more ability for 3rd party candidates to be elected in all levels of politics.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2010