Collecting PA to be a SAHM....

Should moms be allowed to collect PA just to be able to stay at home with their children? Would your opinion be different if they could provide for their family just fine if they worked? Where should the line be drawn? Meaning if you could change PA, how would you change it and how would you decide which sahms should get PA and which shouldn't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "BUT when I was in a hardship and needed assistance, the government would have spent more in helping me afford daycare to go to work than the food stamps, WIC, and medicaid we received. So in my case, the government saved money by me being a SAHM while on the assistance at the time."

Not judging you but how can you say the government saved money? I would think it would be cheaper to provide daycare assistance for you to work to be able to provide food (less foodstamps), health insurance for your family (less funding for medicaid). The government didn't save money, they actually spent more money.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The problem lies in the fact that they can collect public assistance for the kids long after they have collected their 5 years or whatnot. I think people should take pride in taking care of their own and not relying on gov't or others. That's just embarrassing! I like to ignore those that take advantage of the system and have no goals of their own, they are nothing to me.

If I could change PA though, I wouldn't let the gov't tax me for it ;) Let those who want to be do-gooders donate to PA, let's see how much they get then!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• just so they can stay home, no I don't believe that should be the only reason to get it.

BUT when I was in a hardship and needed assistance, the government would have spent more in helping me afford daycare to go to work than the food stamps, WIC, and medicaid we received. So in my case, the government saved money by me being a SAHM while on the assistance at the time.

There is always another side to the story, so I hate to make generalizations like this, saying NO SAHMs on PA.
    Anonymous

• Stop judging what others do and worry about your own situations
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• prettyrayray: WIth your lack of empathy and attitude, I hope you NEVER find yourself on the recieving end of PA. It is NOT easy to put yourself out there to go and apply. To have your life gone through with a fined tooth comb. To have to look for a job for 40 hours a week and find nothing.

I live in Wisonsin and after 5 years, you can NOT get any more cash assistance in your lifetime. You can still get medicaid and foodstamps. I have my own goals and am NOT embarrassed to have to use PA, something that I pay for out of every paycheck. Yes, I work and go to school fulltime..I do NOT sit on my ass and have no goals. The economy sucks right now and there are few jobs to get.

But, a mom should NOT be on PA to be a SAHM, she needs to be working, looking for work or going to school to get education and job skills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• may she get fleas in her crotch for being such a heinous witch.. hope she becomes homeless or in bad shape maybe that will teach her some compassion
    Anonymous

• I believe that PA should be available to those who truly need it and deserve it. I don't belive it should be handed out to moms just because they want to stay home and not work outside the house. Now if they had a hardship, a diabled child, major health issues of their own or circumstances that would prevent them from working outside the home-- then yes they should get some form of PA.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 4:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 by: prettyrayrayclapping

Anonymous

• I would make many changes to welfare. Starting with, if you already get PA, you shouldn't be able to TTC. If have another child while you are already collecting PA, you should be dropped from PA. Women that get PA should only be able to stay at home for 1year with children under a year unless they are enrolled in school. I would make more funding available to moms that are in school and or working. Moms that get PA should be required to give birth father's information and required to go after them for child support. They need to change the system from "hand out" to " a hand up". The system we have now makes it impossible for people to get a hand up. It needs to change.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• to me having a child or children isn't a hardship. if you have them you need to find something good to support them like everyone else. PA shouldn't be for mothers who CHOOSE to stay at home. it should be for those who have lost their job or aren't making enough working full time, or working part time and going to school.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010