Should I worry that my kids are in the lower percentile according to weight?

1 of 2 questions
I just weighed my kids and for a 2 and 3 year old they have low percetages. She's between 10-25% and he's below 5%. That's according to Babycenter's calculator. They both are picky eaters. As long as they are eating healthy foods (not alot of junk - chips, cookies, etc.), should I worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• weight % is not like a grade in school, the higher is not the better in the is case!
    100% on weight means you have one of the fattest kids in the country almost, not a good thing!

now, also take into account your size and their dad's. Are both of you on the small side? then it would make sense for your kids to be too.

as long as they aren't spending most of their time saying "I'm hungry" I think you're OK :D
    Anonymous

• You need to know how their height corresponds to their weight. As long as they are healthy and happy, don't worry about it. My son has been off the charts since he was about 13 months old. He has always been tiny, now he is 13 and has gained 50+ pounds in 1 year and gained about 7 inches in height. Your kids will catch up. Do not worry until their doctor worries.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My older daughter was always 3rd percentile until she was 2. She was so active, I think is the reason, that she never really got chubby at all. Now, at 4, she's 55th percentile, so basically right in the middle. She was also a picky eater, but we just made sure that she only had healthy choices to choose from, so that when she was hungry it wouldn't be junk food. Starting at 2, we also started to give her a multi-vitamin. Good luck!
    twogirlsmama79

Answer by twogirlsmama79 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• That percentile stuff is BS. Children will progress as their bodies and their metabolisms allow. Stop reading that stuff and just enjoy being a mother.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010