How can I get my kids to put on more weight?

2 of 2 question
Since their score is low, how can I increase their weight without giving them the cookies and chips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a great recipe, filled with good fats, that you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Don't, the lower the % the better.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If they are eating right already. Do not worry about.

Answer by louise2 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My children were very low on the percentile charts too. My one son was actually at a -5% for weight, and he ate like a horse! (I was the same way when I was younger as well.) He ate right all the time, good healthy meals every meal. We had to get him to gain some weight to get him above 5%. We made Pediasure milkshakes. He had ½ a bottle of Pediasure for breakfast, after the food was eaten. The other half after he had eaten his lunch. After dinner with his snack we made him the milkshake. 1 bottle of Pediasure, 1 to 2 scoops of ice cream, and some fresh fruit. It is not unhealthy and it does not take away from the normal food intake for the day being as it is the last thing they get. It did help him to get back on the charts the way he should be. It was slow going, but he got there.
    As the other poster mentioned the lower numbers are good for the percentile charts. However too low is not good either.
    I hope that helps.
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 8:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Plz don't worry about being underweight. As long as they are healthy otherwise.
    lifelovinmom

Answer by lifelovinmom at 8:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• slip in healthy fats where ever you can, saute veggies in olive oil, add a splash to their pasta, lots of avacado, nut butters, coconut oil, egg yolks, make sure it's whole milk and yogurt, cheese..ect
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Unless your pediatrician is worried about it I wouldn't, if your pediatrician is worried about it as them what you can do to help. Both of my boys run in the 90th percentile for height and weight, I asked my pediatrician if I should try to drop their weight at all and he told me that their bodies will adjust accordingly as long as I wasn't feeding them garbage.
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 1:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If you know your child is offered meals on time and snacks on time, then don't worry about it.
    Look the next time you go to the mall or food store, how many over weight individuals there are in the United States.
    Its because food is pushed way too much on people today.
    Children eat when hungry. A child will not starve itself.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Thanks. I appreciate the recipe and every one's help. I wanted to close the questions but I couldn't make a choice for best answer.

Anonymous