Should I wait for my kids to say they're hungry or give them lunch and dinner on a schedule?

Should they eat with everyone else or just when they ask? I have them eating with us for dinner. But a friend told me that I was too strict and they should eat when they fell like it. He feeds his granddaughter when she ask only.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With four children I wasn't going to be a short order cook.
    They got breakfast at 7 AM....what was prepared in each meal is what they decided to eat or not or wait until the next food arrived before their eyes.
    Snack time - 10-10:30 with a drink
    Lunch time 12-12:30 with a drink
    Snack time 3:00 with a drink
    Dinner time 6-7 PM with a drink

Kitchen was closed in-between those hours
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I disagree with that, kids thrive on a schedule, they need routine in their little lives!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• We have them eat with us. Know there are times they do not want to eat at that time. So we just say ok and we will save your food for later. I really feel they need to eat there meals. Otherwise if we did not do that. they thought they could get snack. You are not being strict. You are being a parent.
    Anonymous

• I fed my kids lunch at noon and dinner a 5pm. Breakfast when we woke up.

Answer by louise2 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If you wait on them and if you have more than one - you will be feeding someone all day long. They need to learn when to eat. My kids have their meals at set times - 8am (the one in school gets bfast at 7am, while the others are still sleeping) for bfast, 1pm for lunch, and 5:30 pm for dinner. They get snacks at set times as well... 11am, 3pm, and 8pm. When they are finished with the meal - I tell them that they have to wait until (whatever snack time is next), so they need to be sure they can wait unitl then.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• schedule

Answer by admckenzie at 7:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My younger son has no idea when he is hungry until he totally melts down with hunger! I had them both on a schedule at a very early age. Whenever I deviated and let him come tell me he was hungry, he would wait too long and have a melt down. He is 10 and still needs to be reminded to eat!
    Some will you that schedules are mean and restrictive, but to me-its the art of anticipating their needs and fulfilling them before it becomes a "crisis".

If scheduled dinners works for you, continue to do so.
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 7:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• He feeds his granddaughter when she ask only.

Why is he raising his grand daughter? If its because his OWN child is not a fit parent, I would be wary of his parenting advice!
    Anonymous

• We have our 9 mon old on a schedule, with a little bit of leeway. Sometimes the whining that comes before a certain thing (nap or lunch for example) is just too much to listen to so I give in lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have three meals.a day for and snacks at will.If they are hungry before meal time I give them a snack. I'm not very rigid.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2010