how do i get my 24 month old to sleep in his bed again???

when my son was about 17 months old he started to climb out of his crib so for likke two months i would just have to constantly put him back in bed like an average of ten times per night befoe he would fall asleep. also when we would stay at my boyfriends house he would sleep with us. almost every weekend. well some nights i wopuld just be so tired and frushterated i would just let him sleep with me at home. but now he will not sleep in his bed i got him a toddler bed even but he still wants to sleep with me. so i tried letting him fall back asleep in my bed then take him to his bed. but he always gets up and joins me in the middle of the night...... i need help pleas e let me know if you have any advice or tips. thanks

cassie1992

Asked by cassie1992 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He might be cold. Maybe you could wait until this nasty winter is over and try again

Answer by admckenzie at 7:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I totally feel you.. My son is the same way and he's 16 months old.. We had to live with my mom for awhile and sleeping with us was about the only thing we could do plus I BF for awhile which sleeping with us was easier for me during that.. I've decided to wait till the summer and after all his medical problems are fixed and then the war begins I am gonna go at it again... But We can do it.. It's just gonna take a week or two to get it done but we have to be consistant
    Anonymous

• I have a suggestion, but you probably won't like it.
    My husband and I don't believe in co-sleeping. We believe it is not healthy for the kids, or for our relationship.
    So, here is a method I guarantee will work... but the key is to be 100% consistent. 100% of the time. You will get tired and want to break, but if you do this I guarantee it will be worth the trouble.
    1. Do your bedtime routine, ie; bath, teeth, book... whatever you do.
    2. Explain that it is time to start sleeping in his own 'big boy' bed and let him help make the bed/ turn it down etc.
    3. Place him in the bed and turn off the light, sit at the door with your back turned to him and do not talk or make eye contact at all.
    4. He will get up, it is inevetable... just pick him up and put him back, without talking to him at all and return to your place.
    5. Every time he gets up, return him. He may cry, scream, yell at you, tell you 'you don't love me'...
    CONT >>
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• 6. Don't believe that. You ARE a good mama and you will be glad when it is over.
    7. He keeps getting up, keep placing him back. Do not waver. This may take 3 times of getting up, or it may take 300 times of getting up. Just keep placing him back and return to your place, back turned, sitting on the floor. Remember through all of this, no communication at all.
    8. FINALLY he will get tired and go to sleep. Just understand that it may take minutes, or HOURS... just don't give up!!
    9. GO TO BED WITH YOUR HUBBY!!!

NOW - the next day... Repeat the process the exact same way, except move to outside his door where he doesn't see you instead of inside the room. Again, no communication, just keep placing him back.
    Repeat this every night for as long as it takes. I can almost guarantee that it won't take more than 2-3 nights before he understands that you mean business.

Good luck! Let me know what you think and how it goes.
    CONT>>>
    RutterMama

• Be strong and know that you WILL win the battle and you and hubby deserve your own bed to yourselves!! You can do it mama!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• thanks i will definatly try this ruttermama
    cassie1992

Answer by cassie1992 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010