I have 5 kids ages 8, 5, 4, 4, new born. Well today my 5 yr old daughter bit my newborn

They had all been doing fine with the change. They kiss him and love him, but today my 5 yr old bit my newborn . It actually broke my heart since they have always accepted each other. Why would she do this ?? How can I avoid this?

ehall13

Asked by ehall13 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• too many and not enough individual attention
    Anonymous

• i agree with pp she prob felt she wasn't getting enough attention, and even though she would be getting neg attention in that case it would cause her to get your attention!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Do not let any of the older children be alone with your new born

Answer by louise2 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Sometimes parents go overboard with telling kids they are the older sister/brother and the helper. They have to love the baby and hold the baby kiss the baby. If they don't they aren't good. The kid may not like the baby that much, or at least not all the time.

Tell the kids that it's your job to take care of the baby. Don't let them kiss the baby. It's not a good idea for the baby because of the germs the kids bring home. Kissing babies is a selfish act not a loving act. Minimize the amount the kids hold the baby, even the 8 year old.

Wear the baby in a sling so you can get things done and you don't have to worry about the safety of the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• MY DAUGHTER BITE MY SON WHEN HE WAS A NEWBORN, I WAS HOLDING HIM AT THE TIME. I DONT BELIEVE IT WAS BECAUSE HE OR SHE WAS NOT GETTING ENOUGH ATTENTION. I THINK IT WAS JEALOSY NOT BEING THE BABY ANYMORE. JUST HAVE THEM HELP WITH FEEDING AND PLAYING WITH THE BABY TO GIVE THEM BOTH ATTENTION AT THE SAME TIME. I HAVE 5 CHILDREN AND IT IS PRETTY EASY TO GIVE THEM ALL ATTENTION AT ONCE, YOU HAVE TO PLAY TOGETHER ALOT!!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think it was jealosy too. Everyone usto come over and say how beautiful she was and how she is so big. Pretty pretty ptretty and my twin girls get other attention,but now everyone walks in he is so big and he is so cute and look at his color .. No more attention for her I try hard to make time for all of them yes not everyday I can do it, but i try to dedicate as much time to my kids as I can need to say my computer time is left out til 12 mid after .... Today is the first day me logging in since my newborn arrived. I just needed other mom advice ..
    ehall13

Answer by ehall13 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I would say don't be too hard on her. And don't start falling all over her with attention because you might be feeling guilty. Kids see too much attention just like too little attention, that they are being treated differently, so show her they are treated the same and stick to it.
    Give her a punishment because she broke the rules and leave it at that for now. If you do decide to give her more attention DON't let her see it's because she acted out.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Probably a little jealous perfectly natural whether you have 5 kids or just two. I would let her know it is not acceptable and try to catch her doing things right so she is getting the positive attention she is wanting. It won't last long and don't be too alarmed. my daughter was 5 when my son was born the same thing happened she never did it again and they are very close now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010