natural ways to treat a cough and congestion for kids?

my 18 month old and 3 yr old both have bad colds with a cough and congestion. It gets worse at night and it makes it hard for EVERYONE to sleep I have a cool midst vaporizor, but not a hot midst one (which I hear helps). Also my 18 month old just has such a hard time at night and keeps everyone awake! So, what can I do so we can all sleep better. Also, my 3 yr old has a mild temperature the last few days, and today it seems to be gone.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you tryed Vicks vapor rub.

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• oh yes! I actually put it on their feet with socks on.... it was helping the frist few days and now it seems to not work as well
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can't use VaporRub on kids younger than 2. I wouldn't use it on any child it is an irritant to eyes and lungs.

Lots of fluids. Prop them up with pillows. I would sleep with them holding them up one on each side of me all night. Cool mist is supposed to be better than warm mist. Keep the rooom where they sleep cool.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Vicks is made with petroleum byproducts; I would not put that on a baby. For the 3 year old: http://boironusa.com/products.aspx?pageid=&pcat=&pcat2=&prodid=139  For both, peppermint tea; peppermint is a great natural decongestant; no dairy, dairy is mucus producing. Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Do the research on VapoRub. I'm so sorry, I no longer have the link that it's alarming and that's why we don't use it. #1 it worsens the congestions #2 fools the brain into thinking you're breathing easier but you're not, it's just the odor.

We use a humidifier we bought at costco. It has a timer so we have it on fron 1am til 7:30am. Also, use simply baby for mucus in the nose. Last but not least them hydrated. Helps release that mucus that they swallow.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• honey will coat the throat and help with coughing. You said the youngest is 18 mos right? Honey should not be given to a child under 1, but should be ok for your kids if they are over that age. Other than that.. steam, propping a pillow UNDER the crib mattress to elevate it, saline in the nose helps too. Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I would suggest that you look into the Vicks more closely. It's not safe or even recommend for kids under 2. Honey will will help the cough and throat. Take them in the bathroom with you and let the hot shower run and let them breath in the steam. You can also get some euclyptus oil and put a drop or two in the bath water or in the vaporizer. Elevate their pillows. Chicken soup, extra vitamin C and D3, probiotics are great. Stay away from dairy as it will make more mucus. GL!

P.S. if you want to use a chest rub, get an all natural one with euclyptus and lavendar in it. It will help and it you want to wrap their feet, instead of the vicks, get a garlic oil rub, works wonders!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with not using vicks on small children - - I do use it on my 3 yr old's feet, but would be wary of having it on the younger one.
    Saline nasal spray and a nasal aspirator to help degunk the nose.
    Steamy bathroom will help with congestion.
    Essential oils (eucalyptus is good) dropped into the vaporizor and massaged into their chests will help them breath at night.
    Lemon and honey (for kids over 1) mixed with some warm water will help soothe their throats and will cut the mucus, making it easier to cough it up.
    Dairy with a cold - bad.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Half an ounce of dark chocolate will stop a cough dead. many natural cough syrups have cocoa powder in them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Lemon and honey in warm water is a good one for a cough. Back in the day, they would give a kid a thimbleful of brandy, lol. Although I have used that remedy on myself (slightly higher dose, though not much), and it does work. But probably not really a good idea for a toddler.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2010