my grandson just turned 6mos. is it safe for him to sleep on stomach now?

he have a hard time sleeping at night because he wants to really sleep on his stomach. we are constantly turning him on his back. It's beginning to be quite frustrating for everyone.

MzLaidei

Asked by MzLaidei at 8:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its not safe yet, not until they are at least a year old. try putting a small pillow or blanket on his side and postion him on his side mabe he will go for that.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I personally would still continue back sleeping just because the risk of SIDS is still there, and I used to get nervous when my son would roll onto his belly at that age and be sleeping with his face buried in the mattress
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• No. Not unitl atleast a year old.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my son could turn and move around in bed on his own by the time he was 3 months. Since then HE would roll over and sleep on his tummy. He liked it better that way.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 8:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Back sleeping is just one of the things that reduces SIDS risk. Its funny that you don't hear moms (or grandmothers) saying the baby must be breastfed to reduce SIDS risk. Most moms don't even know that not breastfeeding puts their baby at risk for SIDS.

The risk for SIDS doesn't go down until a year. So it is up to the family to decide what SIDS risk reduction factors they will follow. The latest is that using a fan in baby's room reduces SIDS.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I woldnt let him until he was 1 years old. I was always scared that something would happen. At babies r us they have something, I cant remember what it is called, but its like a wedge babies can sleep between so they cant roll aroung. It works great!!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I let my daughter sleep how she wants..She loves sleeping on her tummy. has been sleeping on her tummy since she could move
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• about ninety percent of sids cases occure before six months of age. While back sleeping is one factor to reduce it....especially for crib sleeping...it is not the only. Cosleeping does too (this means bed in the same room as parents not necessarily the same bed).

If the baby keeps turning over on his stomach and can turn BACK to his back on his own, then I would say let him sleep on his tummy. But beware of him sleeping abnormally long stretches and still check on him periodically. When everyone is awake it is perfectly fine for the baby to sleep in proximity wherever you may be, not just in the crib. It makes observation much less stressful.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i have raised 3 of my own and 3 of my grankids
    if the baby is not comfortably on there backs i turned them over and iam glad i did my 2 grandaughters almost choked to death
    i dont want to scare u but dr r not always right
    its like when u r prego u want ot sleep a sertain way and u do well thats how babys r as well or u could prop them on there side alittle it does work
    i would not have changed a thing with anyone of the kids i raised and they have learned to do as i did they r all just fine
    good luck
    Anonymous

• Babies should be put to sleep on their backs for the first year, but whatever position they end up in is fine. Many babies prefer to sleep on their tummies, once they can roll over on their own there isn't much you can do about it.

as for pillows and such, they are not safe in the crib for at least the first year. "positioners" are okay to use.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2010