starting solids

my baby is just about 4 months old, and is showing signs that she is ready for solid food, so i started with oatmeal, but every time i did she had really bad gas, and her tummy really hurt her, so i stoped, why is this happening?

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she might not be ready for solids or maybe her stomach cant handleoatmeal, have you tryed rice cereal?
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• 4 months is young for oatmeal. go buy the Gerber Rice Cereal mix. Usually found in the baby food section. See if she takes that better. Its MUCH easier to digest.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 8:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• not yet, i was going to try that. thanks
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It is recommended that babies be exclusively breastfed for 6 months. Then they can start regular foods like banana, sweet potato, and avocado. There is no need for baby cereal, jar food, puffs, ect.

Formula fed babies may also be able to wait for 6 months.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website that has info on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Ready is more than interest in food...that is natural curiosity. The baby should also be able to sit up unassited and have lost their tongue thrust reflex. This happens around six months old or so. Cereals are very very harsh on an immature digestive system. That's why the tongue thrust reflex is in place...it shouldn't be bypassed by making solid food watery.  It forces the baby to eat  foods beyond their developmental age and gut maturity.    Wait two months and try again. If your baby is showing signs of gas and stomach upsets that is a signal to cease and desist.  Read this:  http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It could be that she's not ready yet. Personally, I would recommend waiting until at least 6 mos and starting with a fruit or veggie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You shouldnt have tried oatmeal first. Veggies come first, with a little bit of rice cereal if they dont like the taste... which some babies dont. Add formula/breast milk to make it creamier and easier for baby to swallow.

People on here always say babies dont need baby food until 6 months and that is fine, but that isnt how my pediatrician has guided me with my daughter. Its not that we gave her baby food for nutritional reasons, we were just getting her used to eating and tasting different things.

Also, avoid fruits for awhile. You want them to get as used to veggies as possible.
    Anonymous

• Rice cereal is much easier on the tummy...try that :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would wait until 6 months and start with veggies. Babies don't need rice cereal and oatmeal is not best right at the beginning. I started my son at 6 months with one veggie a week I did not buy baby food gave him what I make for dinner and mashed it up. He learned to love various tastes and textures through this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2010