Why should a child be in a rear facing car seat for as long as possible?

What is the highest weight limit car seat? What about the child's legs?

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 8:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• from what I remember, since legs are bendy they worry less about them than the risk of whip lash and neck injuries when forward facing. rear facing in a wreck is a much less risk of a neck injury than forward facing.
    Anonymous

• Some believe its safer even if it goes against current manufacturers guidelines. There is an organization out there with .org at the end of their website that claims to "be the only one that certifies car seat installers" that is pushing that trend. And you KNOW if it has ORG at the end it must be legit right?
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 8:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• When my son got uncomfortable in his rear facing infant seat. I switched to an upright front facing toddler seat. His legs couldnt fit in a rear face anymore. And he was under a year. But he couldnt fit... so i changed seats.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 8:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well I would never change them before a year thats just stupid and I had big kids well my first 2. My 3rd still real faces and YES its safer and honestly if she was really big I would have switched her but she is small and she is 21mos so trying to rear face her till at leaste 2. Seats here aren't made to rear face for as long even though its SAFER!
    Anonymous

----------------------------
    LOL love it
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Until the seat is too small for them to rear face. Their legs will be fine no documented cases of injury to legs from sitting rear facing. Something that was completely made up and passed around. I wished they had seats that went up to 8 or 9 years old rear facing would be so much safer than forward facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Love how some insult others who have researched this. Sorry if that makes you feel inferior so you lash out at others.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

*****

NO. NEVER EVER GO AGAINST MANUFACTURER'S GUIDELINES. safekids.org does NOT recommend it. However, if you think your car seat manufacturer is more ethical than an organization concerned about kid's safety, trust their profit based recommendations! When I called Safety 1st about our car seat and I was having trouble installing it, they told me to take my seat to a car seat safety technician. Even car seat manufacturers recognize car seat technicians. On car seats, they say turn them at a minimum of 1 and 20, but now the manuals are being made to say until they outgrow it rearfacing.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• This is posted in a preschooler section, and I'll be honest. There aren't a lot of 3 or 4 year olds who can safely rear face. My girls will be 3 in March, and she can very safely do so, but she is so tiny for her age. At the rate she is growing, even with our Compass True Fit, she will probably need to be turned around at age 3 1/2. If she's small for her age, then most 3 year olds will need to be turned around.

If you are unsure about your child, just get your child and your seat to a car seat technician and ask. They can tell you what's best. Or, you can listen to people on the internet who don't like the .org behind the name and will trust the... the what? I'm not sure what the alternative is.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I can't imagine it's ever safe to install a carseat that goes against manufacturer guidlines. If it's not meant to be installed that way, I wouldn't do it. So that idea seems a little off to me.

I wouldn't have my children in rear-facing seats if they're too big for them....the comfort level has to be low, and while I'm not some kind of expert, I just don't see it being safe to have their knees by their face during a car accident.

I had mine in rear-facing seats until their legs were too long for it- usually by about 2. The front facing seats have a 5 pt harness that keep them pretty secure- again, as long as you follow the guidlines and install it into your car correctly.

Trusting the manufacturer explicitly may not be smart, but the government regulates the manufacturers to be sure that car seats are safe and secure for all sizes and shapes... so I don't see a reason to debunk them entirely either.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010