Do you clean your belly button?? If not does it hurt?

My son's belly button was hurting him about 3 days ago. It was red like it was irritated and a deep red color on the inside (from what I could see; I didn't want to pull on it since it hurt so much). It hurt a couple days and then all of a sudden it was fine. But tonight when I was putting him to bed I noticed an odor coming from his belly button. It smelled really bad. My questions are: Do you clean your or your kids belly button? How do you do it? How often? Do you think this is why it hurt him to begin with? Thank you for your help and opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• http://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/navel-infection
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have 3 kids. Only one of them gets the stinky belly button. I use a q-tip w/ hydrogen peroxide to clean his. When I was younger I had the same kind of belly button. Some need cleanning, some don't
    Anonymous

• I'm anon 4:39. Also want to say that if he picks it then it will get sore and red. I have done it to myself
    Anonymous

• I don't clean my baby's belly button, and I seldom clean my own. It's an uncomfortable thing to do. However, when mine starts to look gunky then I put hydrogen peroxide in it and let it sit ( I have a pretty deep innie) and then use a Q-tip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't now, they shower themselves. But I used to when I bathed them. I used a q-tip or my finger, just rub soap over it. I do clean my own. Belly button's really start to stink if not cleaned. It's really gross.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• same as anon, 9:09. over here.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2010