Do you think this is appropriate?

"And your kids hate you too, for now, while they are young and you are teaching them. "

This was an answer that was recently posted in another question. How far is too far to go when responding to a question? This came from a "Christian". I know things get heated. And name-calling is done in the heat of the moment. However, to bring a person's kids into it and saying they hate you? What in the world makes someone think this is ok to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No it's never ok to bring children into it. Ever. But some people will anyway when they get angry and we just have to learn to ignore them. They are not worth our attention.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I can't say yes or no since you have only given one sentence out of an entire conversation.
    Anonymous

• Kids are OFF LIMITS!   It's like an unwritten code on CM.  Those who break it are the lowest of the low!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Generally speaking no its not okay. However the above statement wasn't really saying anything negitive about the kids only trying to point out that the long term effects of the posters actions might have have a negitive effect on her kids down the road.

However I wouldn't tell anyone their kids hate them.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Anon :06. So you are saying that it's fine to bash someone's children? I can tolerate being called names myself, but why bring children into it? Here is the question I was referring to, but the answer was deleted because I reported it.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/356290/Whats_with_the_hating_on_Catholics?cat_id=&next=1#answers

Anonymous

• Its easy to take things out of context without reading the entire exchange I don't really know what caused the person to write this, but I really don't like the phrase "your kids hate you" how does the person know what the kids feel.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It would seem appropriate to a question like:

"When I discipline my kid he/she says she hates me...what do I do?"

In which case I would probably respond that it's normal for kids to "hate" their parents in the moment they're being disciplined, but generally understand and thank their parents when they're older.

Outside of that context, I don't really see it as appropriate.
    Anonymous

• OP here: I will admit that I said to a poster, "you might want to be careful because your hate is showing." I would have had no issue at all if she would have turned around and said something about me or even if she called me a b!tch (though that's not too Christian). I do have an issue with people bringing my kids or anyone else's kids into a debate like that. Unless you are discussing child-rearing issues, I was always under the impression that saying things about another mom's kids was off limits. Like beeky said, it's an unwritten code.

Anonymous

• It is an *UnWritten* rule that you can insult, say or do what you will to me, but DO NOT bring my kids into it...
    If someone wants advice on parenting/a child(ren) of certain ages that is being helpful.... but to insult anothers
    child(ren) ... I don't think so...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i think its wrong to say someone's kids hate them when you dont even know them...talk about ASSuming!! i have to admit ive thought bad things about other mom's parenting abilities or how they are raising their kids...but i would never put that out there. it doesnt accomplish anything but more anger.

but honestly, that is far from the meanest things ive read towards someone's kids, but it doesnt make it right.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2010