Should I settle for an okay school for my child that lives with me,to be closer to the child im fighting for?

I am a mother of 2 girls.Ages are 10 and 6.Three years ago I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor,and given supervised visitation to my 10 year old(different fathers)I am ready to take him back to court for overnight visitation and of course unsupervised.My question is this:Should I move in the same city where the schools are okay,or to another city where the schools could not be better,the distance would be about 20-25 minutes.Im sure my 10 year old wants me right next to her if she could,but I kind of feel like I wouldnt be doing everything that I could for my 6 year old.I am also wondering if the judge would be more willing to give me an overnight visit during the school week if I were 5 minutes away and in the same school district versus 25 minutes away in a different school district.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think in this situation you are right in thinking that closer would be better.

After you establish visitation regularly then you can think about moving to the other district.

I think you would have a better chance at convincing the judge to give you weeknight vistiation if you lived close to the 10yr old school.

GOOD LUCK
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It shouldn't matter, my husband got overnight unsupervised visitation and we live 2 hours away from where she lives. What the judge will be looking at is, do you have your misdemeanor expunged, have you taken any parenting classes, and are you employed and responsible. Also, if you've never been a danger to your daughter, this helps too. Distance makes no difference here, parenting does.

Anonymous

• I honestly think that your child can get a great education at an okay school. Sometimes test scores and such don't really give a picture of the school. You could go to a school with a bunch of robots and they'd get great test scores. Some okay schools have very loving and nurturing teachers, who encourage students regardless of test scores. No school will fall squarely into one category. Your daughter's experience will depend on her teacher and classmates, not someone else's assessment of the school.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Base your decision on how things are now, not on how you hope that they will turn out?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Great schools are nice, however, in my opinion, parents being hands on in their kid's education is more important. BTW I live in SC where the schools are known for not being all that great.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010